6.5 Creedmoor for Elk

To add fuel to this fire, I agree with the pick the right bullet comments, and like others, that would be a Barnes TTSX.

And shot placement is the next important detail.

This year, I shot a decent northern whitetail doe, with my 260 Rem. launching 100 gr. Barnes TTSXs, and even thought it was a perfect vitals shot placement on a slight quartering towards, she wheeled and ran 50 yards before skidding to a halt. She was alert, staring at my tower blind, with my ATV parked under it, so when the shot hit, she was loaded to go. The autopsy showed a chunk of heart vaporized, and lungs were red pudding, and she still ran 50 yards. If I wanted her down right there, it would have been a high shoulder shot, and I would have lived with some loin steak loss. The same answer for elk. Vitals shots, will kill the elk with any of these similar 6.5mm cartridges...It will just take time for the elk to run out of gas. If you want it dead right there, then high shoulder/neck shoot it...The 6.5 will do that too.

Squeeze

Of course it will kill an elk. This question is similar to how many fairies can live on the sharp end of a hat pin?

All I have to say is that if it's all you have to use, go forth after selecting a very tough hunting bullet and chose your shots wisely. If you have another better option in your gun safe, take it elk hunting and leave the 6.5 Creedmoor home. It is far from an ideal option.

Maybe I don't understand the question. The OP asked, Quote:At what extended range would still be considered an ethical shot on an animal this size? I am guessing it all depends on one's definition of extended range.

Back