Flir Scout III 640

stickbow_hunter

Looking to get a handheld thermal monocular. Kind of narrowed down to the FLIR Scout III 640.

Anyone have real world experience w this unit. Good, bad, ugly?? Should I be looking at other units instead.

Thanks!

I'd pass personally. I've owned a 640 scout III and an LS-XR. The display and lack of objective focus are the two things that suck the most but there are a few positives. I do love the laser on the xr as well as the size and simple design. The display really really sucks though. It's too dim and too small. They also lack a lot of the manual adjustments other thermals have. Insta alert is an awesome feature though.

Originally Posted By: stickbow_huntermdmorrow,

Thanks for the feedback. What unit would you recommend in a handheld thermal monocular?

Have you looked at the PULSAR Quantum's? We sell Quantums 10 to 1 over any FLIR items. Great quality and great prices. For example, PULSAR Quantum HD38A

Give me a call if you have any questions.
thumbup.gif

^^^ Most definitely would agree with Tom. The Pulsars smoke the scouts. I have owned a 19s, 38a and 50s before I upgraded to 640 Armasight units. The Armasight 640s are definitely better than the Pulsars but not by a huge margin. If you can save a bit more money over what they sell the scout 640's for you can probably get into an armasight unit or even an IR patrol. A 42mm Zeus 640 is a great unit to use as a dual purpose scanner and rifle scope. In fact my scanner is a Zeus Pro 50mm that I mount to a piece of rail with a hole drilled through it and a binocular strap. The rail section came from TNVC and also has a tripod hole threaded.

FLIR Scout 640s and LS-XR gets the job done for everything I do at night and are used all the time.

Personally I do not want any adjustments on my hand scanners besides the incredible Insta-Alert, don't leave home without them.

I have the IR Defense 250 Patrol and love it for scanning and recommend it to anyone looking for something to scan with. I really like the clarity and especially this time of year here in Wisconsin when everything is cold (rocks trees buildings) when temps are always 20 or below I find my self using the white outline feature. Critters really stand out when they come running across a snow packed field.

I actually bought a Flir LS XR only had it for 2 weeks and was very happy to find someone else to buy it from me. Bought and IR 300 because it's able to mount on a helmet, hand scan and is also a weapon sight. I wouldn't get the Flir but there are those who like them but to me the quality comparing the two unit is like a toy vs a tool

Back