6.5 Creedmoor for Elk

Mark204

A buddy of mine purchased a Creedmoor, he would like to use it for Elk. I personally do not own one so I have no experience with this round, only what I have read about it.

He would like to know if it's an excepatable round using a 147gr bullet? At what extended range would still be considered an ethical shot on an animal this size?

I know there are a lot of variables here, so this is strictly about the gun, not terrain, weather conditions or shooters ability.

Any input on this subject would be helpful.

Here Kitty Kitty

I'd use an app and look at energy down range. Elk aren't invincible, by you do want a bullet that's going to expand and penetrate. I think I'd look at a Berger or an accubond if I was gonna use it. My buddy kills cow elk with a 245 and a 100gr sp. I've used a 25-06 with a 115gr bullet. I prefer my 7mag and a 140. To each their own. If he's confident on his shot placement take it and try. But know the cartridges limits

Quote:At what extended range would still be considered an ethical shot on an animal this size? Let your conscious be your guide. As stated above, take a look at 6.5 Creedmoor external ballistics and go from there. FWIW, I am not a magnum freak at all, but my 6.5 stays at home during elk season.

For many years a .260 Remington was considered adequate for elk out to 300 - 400 yards. Along comes the 6.5 Creedmoor and the long range hunting rage, and now the same ballistics seem to be dandy to half of a mile.

Last edited:
Will it kill an elk yes, but All those variables are very important most of the time with elk.
After hunting public elk seasons all my life, the bigger question is, what are his ethics, tracking abilities, and constitution to stick with the pursuit and recovery.
If a person could limit themselves to a realistic range it would help.
If the masses were limited to .243 and turned loose during elk season, then the elk population would diminish in a short time from belated injuries, infections and so on.
We know that a grizzly can be killed with a .22 rimfire but how many friends will go with you.

I shot a cow elk with my 6.5x47 lapua with 130gr accubonds. My load was just over 3000 fps. I shot my elk at 390 yds the first shot she never flinched I thought I missed I shot twice more at her as she stood broad side to me and never flinched at all. My fourth and final shot was a steep quartering away shot and she buckled and couldn't use her front leg. She laid down and expired. I walked up to her and she was huge. My first 3 shots hit her all just behind the front shoulder in a fist sized group. Two of those bullets exited her with one golf ball sized exit wound and one baseball sized exit wound the other bullet I found in a rib bone on the off side perfectly mushroomed. The fourth round hit her right at the front of the hind quarter and broke her off shoulder. I don't think any bigger caliber would have killed her any faster. I had quite a few people tell me that round would not be big enough for elk. But after using it I would use it or the 6.5 creed any day but I would use the right bullet. Seemed like the 130 had the weight I needed and the speed I needed to get the energy I needed to kill a big animal like an elk.

Wouldn't be my first choice, but it should do the job, as long as he isn't a desperate lunatic shooting at what ever he can. I would keep it under 300 yards and make sure it's a nice broadside shot. My choice would be a solid copper bullet that's going to retain it's weight to make sure you can punch through ribs or if things don't work out perfectly and it hits a shoulder it will still get the job done.

With this caliber I would also try my best to get a follow up shot.

Bullet and shot placement. I have hunted elk 3 times and shot 2 bulls and a large cow. A bull and cow both shot once drt with my 30tc and 165 hornady sst 185,135 yards high shoulder placement. This year a bull with 338 win mag and 180 accubond he was shot twice one standing at 135 right behind the shoulder, 2nd shot running quartered away bullet entered 1-2 inches from first. First two elk recovered mushroom bullet under hide opposite side. The 338 only recovered one bullet no exits, heart and lungs destroyed ran total of 50 yards. I prefer having time to take the broadside shot with placement 3-4 inches below top of shoulder blade.

Im not familiar with the caliber but Barnes tsx would be my recommendation for bullet. I started using them after seeing how the performed on cape buffalo, switched every caliber that I hunted with to them from 75lb antelope to full grown elk.

On the Facebook page 6.5 Creedmoor, this is a regular question asked at least weekly. Plenty of people have killed elk with it, although most would rather use something bigger. I would use the Hornady 143 ELD-X bullet designed for hunting, not the 147gr ELD-M match bullet. Heavier doesn't always mean better for hunting when it comes to bullet construction. Or other bullets like Berger, Accubond, Barnes, etc. The 6.5 CM will get it done with good shot placement.

Last edited:
I would look at the old school 125 partion or the 130 accubond. I wasn't I'm pressed with the 7mm Eldx I shot a large buck with this year.
160 yards quarrying away, it had complete core jacket separation and didn't exit. It did saw the top of the heart off but not a big fan of the jacket separation

Last edited:
Beings that it is a ballistic twin of the 260 Rem/6.5x47 Lapua/6.5x55 Swedish Mauser, and beings that the Swede has been used to regularly knock over moose in Europe for about a century or more, even before "premium" bullets were invented, I'd say it can be done nicely. Get a "good" penetrating bullet that'll shoot accurately at distance, know your ballistics, and get a good rangefinder, and then practice well and often.

Originally Posted By: MPFDMoose in Europe are about the same size as Elk here in NA.
Everyone that I know including family that hunt elk and moose tell me, Moose are pretty easy to kill compared to elk that have a history of being tough.
In addition they say that both react quite differently to encounters and being shot.
Moose generally being more docile, taking the shot and laying down or tipping over.
Elk generally not docile and taking one or more shots on the run.
Never shot a moose but all my encounters make this seem true.

The Creedmoor will take down elk with good shot placement. Same as with any caliber. My brother took down a nice 5 point bull this year at 150 yards. One shot to the neck and it dropped in its tracks. I would not hesitate to use it out to 300 yards on an elk. Last year my 6.5 dropped 4 deer where they stood at 250-300 yards with one shot. The elk and deer were all killed using a 140 grain Amax factory load.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Bullets matter more than headstamps.

thumbup1.gif
exactly!

I took a 850 pound bull moose this season with my 260 rem at 250 yards with a 143 ELD-X going 2770 fps. Double lung, he make it 5 steps then face plantes.

6.5 Creedmoor is more than enough for an elk. Shoot with confidence.

I wouldn't take the chance. It depends on distance and cover in the area he is hunting. You take a 400yd cross canyon shot out here, you better anchor it where you shoot it. If you don't it will move into the timber and by the time you get to the place you shot it, it's long gone, and you've just wasted a perfectly good Elk.

Back