Coyote Decoys

I've had mixed results with some that charged in and others that turned and ran away.
I was a little surprised by the ones that charged in as a pair, more often than not it was the female in the lead. (first one to get shot also)

Ive had some run right up to it yapping like mad, got madder when it didn't answer shot them there as it never saw me at all 60 yards from it in the open.
Another time I had a pair run in then lickity split when they saw the decoy 40 yards from the call in a shrub to hold it up.
Ive used fox decoys with better results...bringing them up next time out for you to check out.

The best result was 4 at once, some laying down for the show, some whizzing on bushes. Lots of work to pack n setup.
Better results with the neighbors dog bringing one to 10 ft from me on a 4 wheeler.
Using dogs not legal here but it seems like many self packing decoys at local animal shelter.

They can work awesome but in all honesty not really worth it. I had this mount done few years ago , have had dogs charge in all bristled up and some stop. Kinda hit and miss I've found. Definitely not needed to call dogs in.

Originally Posted By: tripod3The best result was 4 at once, some laying down for the show, some whizzing on bushes. Lots of work to pack n setup.
Better results with the neighbors dog bringing one to 10 ft from me on a 4 wheeler.
Using dogs not legal here but it seems like many self packing decoys at local animal shelter.

I like where you are going with that.

Decoys are like other things relating to coyote hunting in the fact they don't work all the time. I can honestly say that I have never had any decoy scare a coyote, at least not any that I saw react by running away. I have had lots of them come in with their ears laid back and their hackles raised. I hang an extra tail out of the decoy's mouth which adds to the scenario.

Flambeau Lone Howler

1626.jpg

Only packed it 3 times last year and didn't get a coyote into range of it

I have only started using a coyote decoy last year the lone howler I replaced the tail with a real coyote tail and put a piece of fur in the mouth .I have had good luck I have had a alpha male challenge bark at it for 20 min at about 100 yards and yesterday I had a pack answer back to a female lone howl about 200 yards off I had my coyote decoy outamd they would not respond to distress so i simulated a coyote fight followed by a ki yi it took 40 mn before a coyote appeared my experiences with a decoy so far have been good more often the not I have a coyote sighting using one and thats hunting eastern coyotes mn that are very weary.

I have the flambeau lone howler. I used it couple times and it became to much trouble to haul to stand.. Then I started to think about how real it looked from a distance.. I hunt public land and the thought of someone seeing it and hearing the sounds just might trigger a few shots my direction that I wouldn't care to much for.. So that another reason why I use smaller decoys and they are less intimidating. As been said, hit and miss with the yote decoys.. Dan

A few years ago I purchased a Phantom HD coyote decoy that is a flat photograph on rolled up plastic. The photograph was on both sides and really looked great. The problem was, the plastic was so stiff I could not unroll it flat. It was even harder in cold weather. It was actually so stiff that when I unrolled it in winter and staked it into the ground, it would roll back up and pull the stakes out of the ground. I eventually rolled it flat and put bricks on it for a month and it still was unusable. I never used it once in the field, and ended up using it as a target.

I have the lone howler but can't say it has gained me a coyote. The times I've used it I think I shot the coyotes before they really saw it. I am a believer in a motion decoy. I have a FoxPro with one built in but prefer the Mojo Critter. With the extension stake it's taller and gets over vegetation better. I feel like once a coyote comes in looking for food or another coyote and sees that decoy moving it is enough. They often charge in to it even when they came to a howl or pup distress once they lock onto the decoy, other times they circle in downwind. Either way it gets their attention and keeps it off me while bringing them closer.

I use the kojo decoy and have had good results. It's nice because it folds up about the size of a medium plate, fits in your pocket and weighs next to nothing. I think it helps here in Iowa anyway.

Originally Posted By: Airedale56https://ultimatepredatorgear.com/product/coyote-decoy/

I stumbled on this one online.
Looks like it would be a hoot for getting one in close.
Tactacam mounted on a rifle might get some terrific video.

Man, I don’t know if I’d want to use that in the field. It seems like a good way to get shot by someone that thinks it’s a yote. I think I’d be a nervous wreck sitting behind it. lol

Back