Anybody make their own sausage?

fw707

As in grinding and seasoning breakfast-type pork sausage in particular, but any info on equipment and seasonings for venison or any other types would be appreciated.

Thanks!

First, get some pork. Most of mine has been of the feral hog variety, which is often pretty lean. That means I have to work hard to keep the clean fat along with the meat for good sausage. When it's all trimmed up, I grind first with the coarse plate (mine's a 10mm). Then, I cheat and use a commercial sausage seasoning mix - I have come to really like the Backwoods Breakfast mix from LEM products. Mix it thoroughly into the coarse-ground pork, then run through the fine grinding plate (I believe mine's a 3.5mm). That's about all I do. Just package up the resulting sausage as you normally would and it's ready as pan sausage (or for use in burritos, biscuits, pasta sauces, etc.) whenever you are.

I've played around with other recipes too, but keep falling back on the Backwoods. They make a good summer sausage seasoning that I like to use for venison (deer or elk). I like to add some of LEM's high temperature cheese to the summer sausage. I love bratwurst, but can't seem to get mine to come out right. I don't think I have fatty enough meat (some sources say your fat content should be as high as 35-40%). Rather than keep adding fat, I just gave up and get some Johnsonville brats when the urge hits me.

The wife and I make our own, it takes two days but really good
thumbup.gif
. Gene'o
here is a list of al you need
http://www.nationalpredatorhunter.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=92280#Post92280

A grinder and seasoning is all you need for sausage. A local store used to sell the sausage seasoning they used in their store grind. All we added was a little extra sage.
We also made Itallian sausage. Good stuff.

Shayne

Thanks Sean and Shayne!
I'm glad y'all brought this thread back up!
I don't have access to the good wild pork stuff, but we made a batch of breakfast sausage yesterday from some whole loins we got on sale and a seasoning mix that's been around a long time.

We made 16 packages that averaged one pound each from two whole pork loins. They were $1.49 per pound on sale and our grocery store ground them for free.

Me and a buddy made venison pepperoni and salami for the first time this year. The old way, stuff the casings and hang em in the open until they dry up.

They are great.

I've never been a fan of ground venison, venison is best when you have warmed up the outside for a minute or thrown in a crock pot or stew and cooked until it falls apart. I don't like when it's been just cooked until the pink is gone like would normally be done with sausage or hamburger. It's ether barely cooked for steaks or cooked until crumbling for a roast.

Both my BinL's were butchers and one did about 200 deer a season and the other about half that. They made fresh polish, brats and potato sausage plus smoked sausages. They used a lot of pork but for alot of their own they added beef kidney fat, the sausage kept better in the freezer. I used to skin for the 200 deer BinL and sausage night was fun as we'd throw patties on the saran sealer to test the mix.

For my personal use I built a grinder/stuffer from a large hand crank grinder , filed down the shaft and fitted a pully/shiv and belt drove off an old electric motor. It worked pretty good.

Back