Grandsons first turkey

vahunter

Took the oldest grandson deer hunting yesterday afternoon. We got in the deer blind, wind was blowing and it was cold. After about 2 hours I saw 3 gobblers making their way through the woods to the food plot. Told him I needed to make sure turkey season was still in and if it was he could take one if he wanted. Just by chance yesterday was the last day of a split season until Jan.14. Well the birds walked out, the closest one was about 30 yards and the other 2 were about 65 yards. He was using a 6x45 that I built for the kids to use for deer with a 85 grain Sierra HPBT. He said the biggest bird wasn't the closest so the shot the bigger one at about 65 yards. Hit the bird perfectly. Didn't mess up any of the breast meat. after the pics he grabbed the turkey by the legs, slung it over his shoulder and started walking. He had blood running down his back ( had a nice new coat on) all the way down to his boots. BTW you really don't need camo clothes to kill a turkey. It weighed exactly 20 pounds, 10" beard and 1" spurs. One happy 12 year old.

Back