Finally

DoubleCK

Finally!

After sitting between 150 to 180 hours in the last three years on "Lion Calling Stands," it happened yesterday morning. I have called in five Mountain Lions that I know of, but this morning was my first shot opportunity.

Persistence Pays I guess. But some call it "Just Plain Stubborn!" (-:

Picked up my 2017 AZ Lion Tag this afternoon. Happy New Year!

The full story below is
HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Guys!

Originally Posted By: reddog964Congrats... Gonna need some details
wink.gif

Details? Okay reddog you asked for it. (-:

A friend and I had gone into this area a few days prior to look for Desert Big Horn Sheep. We found them. Eleven Rams with the largest being a dandy Full Curl. Dan got some great pictures that day. Figured Lions eat Sheep so I tried a Stand without result.

Thursday Karen and I went to the Taxidermist over in West Phoenix to pick up a Grey Fox mount that he had finished. Of course I had a long visit there about what would happen if I ever did bag a Mountain Lion. He was freaked when I texted him a "Dead Lion" picture the very next morning. LOL

That afternoon a couple of (Snowbird Pals) Montana and a Colorado Snowbird (Elk Hunters) here at the Resort decided we should to go back in where we had seen the Rams and we would make a Lion Stand. I warned them that it would be long, boring and that their ears would be bleeding long before we could quit.

We headed out the back gate of the RV Resort at daylight. In a half hour we had the UTVs well hidden and we hiked the backside trail along a ridge and through a saddle where we could setup and see for miles. They each took positions in the rocks near the top of the ridge. I dropped down down to a spot where I had three good shooting lanes thru the Mesquite and Cholla. I placed the Revolution to my left about 30 yards and fired 'er up.

After 35 minutes playing some excruciating, loud, ear splitting RainShadow Lion Sounds I figured I had these Elk Hunters laughing up their sleeves thinking I had scared every critter in a 5 mile radius to parts unknown. I switched out to a series of three of the most brutal, violent prey distress sounds Rick has to offer. All of the sudden there she was looking my direction 40 yards out right in front of my old 6mm propped solid in the sticks. She took an 87gr V-Max just below her throat (later found it just under the skin between her shoulder blades). She flopped some but never covered any ground. The three spotters placed up in the rocks never saw her even though they were equipped with good Binocs and constantly scanning. I believe that tells us something about calling these Apex Predators.

Couple of these SnowBirds are great Photographers so after a ridiculous amount of posing and clicking we slapped on the tag and packed her to the trail in the Otter Sled I keep on the UTV for just such a chore.

After working my way through a crowd of Snowbirds at the RV Resort I got cleaned up, headed to the G&F for the required dental work and made the Taxidermist and even the ASU / Stanford BB game.

Good Day spent with Good Folks!

BTW: All pic credit to Dan Quillen

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Good job Craig. I've yet to find equally as thrilling as calling in a lion. She will make a nice mount for you.
Congrats on your success buddy.

DoubleCK could you of used the camera on your caller to record the kill or was the lion not in the right place to see from the GC.. That is really cool.. Dan

Pretty Happy for you Bud, That's got to be a awesome feeling. Wish i could retire so i coulld spend some time down that way for the entire winter
wink.gif

Congratulations. Killing a cougar without hounds, intentionally, not just as an opportunistic, accidental thing while deer/elk hunting, is a [beeep] of an accomplishment. All too easy to get discouraged and throw in the towel. Stubbornness can be a good thing.

Originally Posted By: SlagiattCongratulations. Killing a cougar without hounds, intentionally, not just as an opportunistic, accidental thing while deer/elk hunting, is a [beeep] of an accomplishment. All too easy to get discouraged and throw in the towel. Stubbornness can be a good thing.

Thank You.

Originally Posted By: DoubleCKFinally!

After sitting between 150 to 180 hours in the last three years on "Lion Calling Stands," it happened yesterday morning.

Congrats! I figure I have 200+ hours on lion specific stands ... hoping my luck turns sooooooooon...
smile.gif
Fantastic accomplishment.

AP

Originally Posted By: AllPredatorCallsOriginally Posted By: DoubleCKFinally!

After sitting between 150 to 180 hours in the last three years on "Lion Calling Stands," it happened yesterday morning.

Congrats! I figure I have 200+ hours on lion specific stands ... hoping my luck turns sooooooooon...
smile.gif
Fantastic accomplishment.

AP

Be Ready. (-:

Awesome stuff Craig! Great story and adventure. Very nice pictures also. Hope that pretty cur dog got to have a whiff of it before it headed to the Taxidermist.
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: DasherAwesome stuff Craig! Great story and adventure. Very nice pictures also. Hope that pretty cur dog got to have a whiff of it before it headed to the Taxidermist.
thumbup.gif

Thanks Evan. She did make a personal examination. She seemed to approve.

Back