X- bolt for coyote?

Bill S

I'm looking for a light weight .223 to shoot coyote at no more than 150 yards. The x bolt stalker came up in a search and got my attention. Has anyone here had experience with this rifle? I read a few reports that accuracy was a problem. Is it as accurate as a Rem 700 or Savage .223?

This is my first post here although I've stopped by many times.

Your response will be appreciated.

Bill

The X-bolt is plagued by failed support of the parent company and after mart companies. There isn't many options available for it in general. I have shot a few that were rather accurate, but nothing in the 223.

What is your budget for this project?

Savage Axis or Ruger American or T/C Venture. Light weight and easy on the pocket. Sorry, don't know much about the Brownings.

Last edited:
I prefer the Tikka's, many pages about them here. New model is T3X, previous T3's are on closeout many places.
My latest one is 5.9 lbs and 7 3/8 lbs with scope/mounts.

i have the varmint stalker in .243, I love it
accuracy is pretty good, no complaints at all

my savage 25 is my best shooter, and the ugliest
a lot of good options out there

good luck

Welcome aboard Bill.
I've had two A-bolts and they both were accurate & reliable.
Traded one for an Ruger American Predator (RAP) and am happy with the change. They were in 243.
Liked it enough that picked up a RAP in 6.5 Creedmoor, its probably the most accurate gun I own.
The RAPs also have an easy DIY trigger improvement, are threaded muzzles, and as accurate if not more so, than my A-bolts.

You can't go wrong with a X-Bolt. It's my go to gun for big game hunting. Very accurate. However, my go to .223 is an older Remington 700 VTR. Lots of choices out there. I have really been wanting to try the Ruger American Predator but I'm already rifle heavy and I swore to myself that I'm keeping it to one safe full from now on. LMAO!

Originally Posted By: pahntr760The X-bolt is plagued by failed support of the parent company and after mart companies. There isn't many options available for it in general. I have shot a few that were rather accurate, but nothing in the 223.

What is your budget for this project?

Budget is right around $800 for the rifle. There are a couple Remington and Savage rifles on my list but I've already received some good options here.

Originally Posted By: LUCKYDOGYou can't go wrong with a X-Bolt. It's my go to gun for big game hunting. Very accurate. However, my go to .223 is an older Remington 700 VTR. Lots of choices out there. I have really been wanting to try the Ruger American Predator but I'm already rifle heavy and I swore to myself that I'm keeping it to one safe full from now on. LMAO!

I'll do some more research. The x bolt looks good and the weight is perfect, if I can be sure the .223 will shoot decent it will be on my short list.

Originally Posted By: Bill S
I'll do some more research. The x bolt looks good and the weight is perfect, if I can be sure the .223 will shoot decent it will be on my short list.

I've owned A-Bolts, X=Bolts and BAR's in big game calibers. They all shot as good or better than any factory rifle I have ever owned. I can't believe that a 223 would be any different.

Originally Posted By: LUCKYDOGI've owned A-Bolts, X=Bolts and BAR's in big game calibers. They all shot as good or better than any factory rifle I have ever owned. I can't believe that a 223 would be any different.

It makes sense that any rifle Browning makes should be about as accurate as any other rifle made these days but I need to be careful.

I can't speak from experience when it comes to dealing with the manufacturer, but my x-bolt composite stalker 25-06 is a very good shooter. It's a sporter weight gun but can shoot 1/2" groups with factory ammo. I've been very happy with mine as a deer gun.

Matt

I have an x bolt in 270 wsm and it is the most accurate rifle I have ever owned. It is light to carry and nice to look at. I'm very happy with it. I am also looking at getting one in .223 and I have no doubt it will perform well.

I bought my first BA CF rifle 40 years ago and have had lot more since then. Browning, Ruger, Savage, Winchester, Sig, TC, Remington and maybe one or two others I forgot about.
All this to say my X-bolt is by far the best of them all.

Mine is super accurate, bug hole groups with more than 1 load combo. Only complaint I have is the short magazine, cannot load to lands and have more than a 2 shot gun. Wish they had a blind mag or floor plate.

Trigger not too bad at probably 3# with no creep but not the 2# I prefer on my coyote rifles, may do a spring swap after this season.

Weight of the rifle is nice, heavy barrel and slim forearm, none of that beavertail stuff manufacturers think a heavy barrel needs. Bolt is as slick as any Tikka I have owned or been around.

Aftermarket there is no support so be aware of that if you want to do any mods.

I had a Browning X-Bolt in 270 Winchester for a while and it was a very accurate rifle. It had a very good factory trigger and the bolt operation was smooth as glass. I can't imagine that the 223 would not be extremely accurate. I wound up selling mine to fund another project. Aftermarket support may be an issue depending on what you want but I highly doubt accuracy will be a problem.

Last edited:
I'll take an X-Bolt any day over any Savage model, RAR or Remington. With Tikka it would be a much harder decision.

I own an x-bolt predator hunter in .204, no complaints so far. It is listed as a heavy sporter weight, so it is a dream to carry. It is my first and only browning but it is crazy accurate with 2 seperate loads.

Back