CCI primers have a special place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol.gif
we are all glad you have a good bullet puller.
lol.gif

I loaded about 300 223's and had around a 50% misfire rate with CCI primers. It's not the gun, I have some loaded with Winchester primers and don't have any problems. I'm glad I upgraded from my hammer type puller and went to the collet type. I saved my bullets anyway.

Originally Posted By: Smackem223I loaded about 300 223's and had around a 50% misfire rate with CCI primers. It's not the gun.

I wonder what the culprit could be? Over the last 4+ decades I have shot tens (hundreds?) of thousands of CCI primers without any sort of failure. My very favorite primers for my varmint rifles are the CCI BR2 and BR4 benchrest ones. A few years ago I bought some 1960's made CCI primers ($10 a brick! You blame me?) and not a single failure. If the only brand of caps available were CCI's that would be OK with me.

I've used a variety of CCI primers over the years, for many types of shooting events and never had a problem...I would suggest that someone stored them improperly along the way, or they were subjected to serious contamination at some point...

I read a series of tests to degrade a variety of primers and the tests tended to blow up many misconceptions about what really damages primers..Even to the point of soaking them in penetrating oil for 24 hours and they still fired...

We had another 223 there also and they wouldn't shoot in it either. I was using a new can of power pro varmint. Something to try with Winchesters I guess.

All the brass is trimmed within a thousandth or less. Probably the 3rd loading but the brass is in good shape. The primers are dented good, just don't fire.

Are the primers new/old, all the same lot number?. Do you have a headspace comparator? I'd be curious if there was a difference between the ones with cci and Winchester primers. You could try carefully popping the "dud" primers out with a universal decaper, replace with the Winchester primers and retry? I've never had issues with any brand of primer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotif you have a bunch of those worthless cci primers left i will pay the shipping to get them to me.

If you want them their yours. I bought a 1000 large at the same time and have shot some with no problems yet. PM me your address and you can have 5 or 6 hundred.

You would have to send them "hazmat" and there are special packaging requirements. Not worth the hassle or cost for a few hundred. I wouldn't want to get caught shipping them without declaring them as hazmat.

I'm using cci450 and they are a thicker primer and I have to seat them pretty hard or my 2-223rem savage rifles wont fire them. I pull the bullets, dump the powder and put the case back on the press and give it a good shove and they fire next time fine. are you touching them with your fingers first cause I've heard they get contaminated from finger grease.

Originally Posted By: ohihunter2014...I've heard they get contaminated from finger grease.

Myth.

- DAA

Originally Posted By: Yote NewbYou would have to send them "hazmat" and there are special packaging requirements. Not worth the hassle or cost for a few hundred. I wouldn't want to get caught shipping them without declaring them as hazmat.

^^ this.

couple hundred primers isnt worth the cost of getting busted for doing it

http://www.shippingsolutions.com/blog/dot-increases-penalties-for-non-compliance-hazmat-shipping

Quote:[*]The maximum civil penalty is increased from $55,000 to $75,000 for knowingly violating federal hazardous material transportation law. [*]The maximum civil penalty for knowingly violating laws and regulations that result in death, serious illness, severe injury to any person, or substantial destruction of property is increased from $110,000 to $175,000.[/list]

however, as others have mentioned, i wouldnt be looking to blame CCI just yet. They're one of the best known names in the industry when it comes to stuff like this.... and while everyone has an oopsie once in a while - if it was systemic to the lot you're having problems with, they likely would have already issued a recall due to complaints. Its doubtful that your brick would be the only one.

i'd be looking towards a contamination issue of some sort, or something else.

did you get any of them to fire on a 2nd strike?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back