Coyote breeding season.

Redfrog

Since the coyote is such a versatile critter, I'm wondering if they ever breed outside the normal "spring" cycle. In areas that have very mild climates, good food supply and few natural predators, do the coyotes take advantage of these conditions? I'm thinking of situations like the "urban" coyote.
Any thoughts??

I don't think so, Redfrog. The nice part about their adaptability is that they are so successful in every other aspect of their worlds that they don't need to mess with the reproductive schedule. That and if the pups were to be born during times of low food availability (poodle shortage), then they wouldn't be helping themselves with this new "adaptation."

But, what the heck do I know???? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

When "experts" think, they have "things" figured out. Nature will often put the boot to them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

If a feral female dog, come in heat during the non-typical coyote breeding season. Would a bachelor receptive male coyote, breed her??

I'd go with yes.

Qurious is to why coyotes only breed once a year,
where as a domestic dog will do it several times a year.
any reason why.

I could go on and on about this question, but the bottom line is a second breeding cycle in one year would not be beneficial to the species. No time to teach hunting, recover from nursing etc...Many species have multiple clutches/litters but it is very rare in predators due to the time required to raise and teach offspring. Dogs have been domesticated and the trait has been bred into them. Simple as that.

260, I called in a female this a.m. and she was showing signs of estrus. She also had some slight rubbing on her flanks. I think it is a little early for us here in OK, but it has been above normal temp wise. Of course, it was only one coyote, and she maybe an exception.

Animals that breed out of the "regular" season don't survive genetically because the offspring are at a disadvantage. If in winter, less food, harder to keep warm.
I have read that the male coyotes are seasonal in their ability to sire offspring. Anyone else read that? That would explain the lack of hybrids. I know that the primative dog breed, Tibetian Mastifs, are seasonal in both sexes.

The coyotes social structure revolves around four social seasons.
Mating season- which includes breeding about 15 Dec,-15 March
Denning season - includes whelping about 15 March- 15 May
Pup rearing - about 15 May- 15 Sept.
Dispersal - about 15 Sept - 15 Dec.
These social seasons evolved due to the fact that coyotes are mon-estral. The female comes into estrus once per year. Because of this the male is fertile only about four months of the year. Spermatogenesis begins about the end of Oct. which gives him time to get the plumbing in peak condition when the females are receptive. Sometimes the androgen and testosterone levels are still kinda low when the [beeep] is ready and the male lacks interest so the females evolved "solicitation behavior" whereby the little sluts frolic around the ole boy like puppies issueing high pitched yipes, what my friend Ronnie Robison termed "estrus chirps", and will paw at his flanks in an effort to arouse him. Sometimes to the effect of pawing large bare spots on his flanks. The reason for the sequence of social seasons is manifold. 1, It is neccessary for the male and female to form a strong bond so the male will remain in the family unit and help with the pup rearing, 2. so that whelping and rearing occur in the early spring through summer when food is most plentiful. Coyote/domestic dog hybrids are fertile but a phase shift in estrus occurs in the females and they enter it a couple of months early with a very high mortality rate for pups born in the winter months. Marvelous little animal, isn't it?

Hey Kirby.........He would either breed her or eat her. Depending on his mood /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

Excellant post Rich. Very informative.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
260 Rifleman
I am finding the same thing as Cross J some female coyotes are doggin (now) in oklahoma

Thanks for the info. I was figuring on going out this weekend to test my new FX3 and am wondering if the howls might be the best option to try. Never had the option till now and I am a bit overwhelmed by the possibilities.
"So little time off work and so many ways to spend it"

WyoSongDog,

Just last month, I seen a big ole canine in my hunt area. Don't know what specie he/she is. Seen him/her twice, once last winter, then again about a month ago. Very large, dark rust color with scruffy fur.

Anatomy, looks to be coyote, except for the head. To large, With a broad muzzle. Also very long legs.

First time sighted[last Winter], it was 3/4 mile away. Just had time to zoom up my spotter. Canine, seen me sitting on the gravel, & bolted the opposite direction.

Seen it again, a month ago. A 1/2 mile out, hunting a weeded fenceline. Canine froze in place, as I stopped. We spotted each other the same time. I quickly grabbed my bino's. Canine is hauling mail Northbound, taking very long strides. I put the truckster hammer down swinging around the section to cut him off.

He kick's up a dusky Black coyote, passing through the section. Coyote is flying towards me...figures /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif. But I want to whack the big boy. So I drove past the coyote. Never seen the big canine again. Don't know what it is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif.

I spoke with a local farmer, he seen him up close in his farmyard. He thought it was a wolf [it scared him].

We went out yesterday coyote hunting, in south Idaho, howler up three. They didn't want nothing to do with us. They stayed at around 900 yards out and went right back to making this falls pups. This was mid day and went on for over a hour. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

WyoSongDog,

I wished! My adrenalin, hasn't pumped like that. Since last Winter, when I first seen him/her. That canine is very alert, not to mention fast. No doubt, if I ever tag, that critter. There will be many pics taken, LOL!.

Mating usually is determined by a number of things, number of daylight hours being one of them. But limits on breeding dates, and numbers of dates, could also circle around the diet of the coyote. When animals out breed their habitat there will be a drastic decline in that animals population in that area. The graph has a gentle slope up of offspring vs. food but if the population increases to far the slope looks like it fell off a high wall. So when the offspring increase in population the food supply decreases. If the animal can easily migrate to a new food area it will. But nature will also prune the population. Multiple breedings will cause nature to cull the population.
I think all other variables are secondary. But what the heck do I know?

Back