Cur and coyotes

Jonheson

I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of any of the different cur dogs used to track and run coyote the reason I ask is I meet a lady who hunted squirrel fox and bobcat with her female cur and told me that her dog has plenty of times came up on coyote and bayed it up until the lady got there to call her off that made me wonder if one could bay one just by coming up on it how would they do if they were trained for then

Last edited:
That sounds like a bit of a story to me. Curs make excellent decoy dogs for coyotes but it is not common for a cur to run down a healthy coyote. A cripple, or pup sure they will bay them up in a brush pile or something. A healthy adult coyote can cover some ground.

Curs are used on hogs, coon, squirrel, bear and lion. There is a guy that has a pack of Black Mouth Curs that he runs lions with. Not sure if they would run game that never trees or rarely bays up though

I agree with New2it, my BMC and my BMC/catahoula cross will try and run them to death, but have never bayed them. They will whip the zhitnit out of them if wounded or they corner them. BMCs are smart and tough, I know a good breeder if you're interested.

Back