223 wylde go/no-go gauging

IAyoteHNTR

I'm no expert on the AR platform but I'm sure some of you guys may be, so here's my question.

I have a new upper arriving on Saturday chambered in 223 wylde. I have a 223 wylde go gauge but not the 223 wylde no-go gauge. Would a regular 223 Rem no-go gauge be an acceptable no-go gauge? I also have the 223 Rem "field" gauge as well. I just want to make sure the upper has the proper headspacing and I will order a 223 wylde no-go gauge if needed but wanted to ask you pros before I drop $40-$50 on a 223 wylde no-go gauge. Thanks.

Last edited:
Same chamber specs usng your gauges. The Wylde is a throat change and does not change the actual chamber for the case head space. BTW not all case gauges for XXX chamber are the same. SAAMI is SAAMI but the gauges seem to wander all over the map like free bores.

Greg

as GL said, not all gauges are the same. Clymer and PTG gauges (just as an example - i'm not trying to suggest that there actually is a conflict with these two gauges) may give completely different results to a go/nogo test.

my best advice is to contact the barrel manufacturer and find out which gauge they recommend for checking headspace in their chambers.

that way you can know you're not getting a false positive (or negative) with your gauges when you in fact have a chamber thats fully in spec.

HTH

I just got the upper delivered about 2 hours ago via USPS and checked with my 223 wylde go gauge and it chambered fine and then used my 223 no-go gauge and it wouldn't chamber so I think it's just fine. I'll know for sure in less than an hour.
crazy.gif
Just got the scope mounted and bore sighted and about to head out and send a few rounds down it in the 35-40 mph winds we've got here today to get it somewhat zeroed and make sure it functions correctly w/o any issues.

Thanks for the replies fellas.

Originally Posted By: cjclemensYou're supposed to check headspace on AR barrels?

When making explosions next to my face, I like to make sure. If the upper came assembled I'd think it should be fine, but building my own I'd definitely check it.

A friend installed a new bolt in his which SHOULD have been fine...brought it to my range...and experienced case head separation on the first shot due to excessive headspace.

Originally Posted By: springerOriginally Posted By: cjclemensYou're supposed to check headspace on AR barrels?

When making explosions next to my face, I like to make sure.

Exactly.

Went out and got it zeroed and put about 25 rounds through it. Functions fine and seems to shoot just fine. Will find out just how good it shoots tomorrow. Way too windy to get any quality shooting in today.

Originally Posted By: springerOriginally Posted By: cjclemensYou're supposed to check headspace on AR barrels?

When making explosions next to my face, I like to make sure. If the upper came assembled I'd think it should be fine, but building my own I'd definitely check it.

A friend installed a new bolt in his which SHOULD have been fine...brought it to my range...and experienced case head separation on the first shot due to excessive headspace.

I was being kinda sarcastic, since I believe there is a large contingent of people who believe checking headspace is totally unnecessary on an AR. I do see now that sarcasm doesn't translate very well through text. I check mine, but I've yet to catch one out of spec.

If I ever found one that wasn't right, I would probably not ever buy anything from that manufacturer ever again. Especially since headspace should be set when the barrel extension is installed. For a bolt to have been machined so badly out of spec that it caused a case head separation - well, lets just say that's a huge miss by the QC department. Not sure I could trust anything else they ship out the door.

Back