Is a dog worth it in calling

Jonheson

I know decoy dogs are getting to be a big thing in some spots but I am trying to figure out if they would be worth it here I hunt in the winter in South East Kentucky so we are in the hills with a lot of cover every time I see them being used it out west in the wide open places and in summer time so what would you guys think could it be a help to us or more trouble than it's worth also a lot of spots around here you could have fox bobcat or coons coming into a call could a dog be good to let us know when one of those are coming in and which way or would a dog just scary then away thanks for the help

Unless you plan on hunting alot and in the hottest part of the year I wouldnt mess with one. They are fun and I enjoy mine but they are a pain in the butt for the most part. Very short season that you actually use them. In the winter they are of little to no value. It dont matter how big or how mean eastern coyotes are they will run from a dog in the cold months 9 times out of 10.

That what I was thinking but I was wondering what about one that just sets with you without going after them to let you know when one is coming and which way it coming from

Originally Posted By: JonhesonThat what I was thinking but I was wondering what about one that just sets with you without going after them to let you know when one is coming and which way it coming from

i almost always see the coyote before my dog does.

I agree with STS. I see them first most of the time. Im normally sitting higher than the dog. The thing I miss the most in the winter is the dogs running down an occasional cripple.

Originally Posted By: JonhesonOh ok I would have thought that the dog would pick up on it first

i was going to buy my poor old dog some glasses. but figured he would expect hearing aids next. then health care and a retirement plan.
rolleyes.gif

I am going to have to disagree. I started using a dog in the fall to begin with and progressed to using one in the spring. A fall dog has to be used differently than a spring dog and has a different job. They are more of a sight decoy and my experience has shown they will stand and look at the dog if it doesn't act aggressively giving you plenty of time to shoot. Perhaps its just were I live but I have been using a dog in the fall for over 10 years with success. Sure an occasional coyote will run off but most do not. They are used for the occasional cripple as well.

Brent

Last edited:
Brent hit the nail on the head. Coyotes don't decoy so well in the fall but they will for sure stand and look at your dog which gives plenty of time for a shot. The downside is a lot of times, wherever they see the dog is where they stop. Especially young of the year coyotes. This is not good if they are way out there. I changed my tactics in the fall to try and set up so when the coyote first saw my dog they were in range.

My dog is a very soft dog and she doesn't cast out very far. Usually stands, sits or lays down by me. She will charge out to a coyote she sees or smells (I think she smells it). However she stops and does not engage the coyote. Without her, I don't think I ever would have shot my personal best of 5 coyotes on one stand, All over and done in less than 15 minutes start to finish. She is also helpful in finding a coyote that runs off and dies. When she feels like it.
smile.gif

Cool did not think about them getting on to stop and focus on the dog the only thing I would wonder about is would working in heavy cover would be a problem also I have heard that small breed dogs tend to be better for the fall hunt if anyone uses dogs in the fall what kind do you like I was thinking maybe one of the cur dogs if they are not to big or one of the terriers

Back