7mm 175 eldx

nastynatesfish

Anyone shooting these in a 7rem
Mag? Got a box to try out. Here's one seated to my lands to touch. Measure at 3.530, still fits in my magazine to feed also. Mines a 1-9 twist. Gonna try a ladder with retumbo first then try some h4831sc since it's what I shoot with the 162amax
A 162 eldm compared to a 175eldx

The 162 amax are awesome in my rifle, but they are gone now. I have 500 on the shelf left. But I want to try the heavier bullets too. If nothing else for shooting targets

175s loaded up for a ladder test. Hopefully I can get it tomorrow before I go on nights.
Starting these on some new win brass. 70-72.7gr in .03 gr increments of retumbo. Seated at 3.525 base to tip. See how the print. Maybe next days off I'll run them over the crony

Went out and shot my ladder. Looks like I found a good spot to start seating depth with
71.5, 71.8 and 72.1 are 6-9 shots.

Here's the long round in my mag

The brass

Last edited:
I'm guessing 72.1gr of Retumbo is probably getting close to crunching powder kernels and is a very full case. I think 4831 will be a little fast for the 175's and not give you the best velocity before you pressure out. Have you considered using RL26? It does a nice job of bridging the gap between 4831 and Retumbo or H1000 and should give you a nice balance of a fullish case without crunching and good velocity.

I have a 7mm Blaser Magnum that is a ballistic twin the 7mm Rem Mag and my smith worked up a load for me when he built the gun using the 175 ELD-X, RL26 Powder, and it started to pressure out at 3150fps. I'm using the 180 Bergers at 3050fps. My gun has a 26in. Hart #4 1-8tw barrel.

I have h4831 that I use for 162gr and 140gr bullets. I've got the retumbo left over from My 22/6mm and 300wm. At 72 the charge is almost to the base of the shoulder. Anytime I've used retumbo it shoots better with a full compressed load. I'll take the crony out next week when I'm off and run a few over it and see where I'm at. I want to be about 2900fps I think. I may load them all again from the 71gr charge and run them Over it to see if my velocity flattens out. Thanks for the reply!

Last edited:
Back