Scope mount ?

1Longbow

My son got a new DPMS flat top for Christmas,and will be using it mostly for predator hunting. I have a new 3/9 scope we'd like to put on it.Can you guy recommend a decent scope mount, or rings for it (1 inch tube) reasonable in price. Being a bolt action guy , I like the scope as low as possible. What say you --Thank you for all answers

What Stu suggested. I have one in a 30 mm and one in a 1" tube. I like both and you can get the eye relief you need. I have never had one yet but the one Bryan h posted about is really well liked also.

Is there something I'm missing about the aero mount? I can't cheat it accurately before tightening. It seams like it can take me over an hour and I never really get it knats [beeep]. Love the weight just hate the design unless of course there's a trick

I have 2, a 1" and a 30mm. It's become my goto mount for flat top AR's.

If not the burris, at least consider a similar design. Leupold, Nikon and other make them. Solid, one piece mount/rings, simple to install & solid in use.

the only drawback i've found to one piece mounts is losing the ability to put anything between the rings like a brass catcher mount, etc.

if you're not a reloader, then i wouldnt worry about it at all.

i use two piece rings and make sure i lap them in for alignment as needed.

the nikon P series rings have been treating me fairly well so far and are fairly reasonably priced.

I've got Caldwell's picatinney mounted brass catchers on all of my ARs. They finally started selling the mount piece separately so you don't have to buy the whole system for each gun. The catcher part mounts to the rail just behind the PEPR on all of mine but maybe that wouldn't work for all depending on how you have the PEPR mount positioned.

Forgot to mention that the bag/catcher part can be adjusted independently so you do have a very good range of coverage.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bryan hYou can still use a brass catcher that Velcro's around the forearm I do.

like billfromhighland i happen to prefer the caldwell picatinny rail version that holds itself open (has a wire cage) and will not cause a stoppage after it gets a mag or two of brass into it due to the weight causing the mouth to collapse on the side of your receiver.

i tried one of those turd velcro ones when i first started exploring brass catchers. it now resides in the box of stupid junk somewhere. quite possibly the worst $15 i think ive spent on an ar accessory.

With the way the rings on the Aero are, does it have a tendency to rotate the scope when you tighten it like the old Weaver rings did?

Weaver Scope Mount

I have several of these. They're pretty solid - you just gotta put a little blue Loctite on the thumb screws. For the price, its a nice solid mount. The Nikon mount looks pretty nice as well, but everywhere I saw it, they had it marked at least $20 higher.

Originally Posted By: 204 ARWith the way the rings on the Aero are, does it have a tendency to rotate the scope when you tighten it like the old Weaver rings did?

Yes it does rotate just a little but once you have used one it is easy to compensate for.

Originally Posted By: Plant.OneOriginally Posted By: bryan hYou can still use a brass catcher that Velcro's around the forearm I do.

like billfromhighland i happen to prefer the caldwell picatinny rail version that holds itself open (has a wire cage) and will not cause a stoppage after it gets a mag or two of brass into it due to the weight causing the mouth to collapse on the side of your receiver.

i tried one of those turd velcro ones when i first started exploring brass catchers. it now resides in the box of stupid junk somewhere. quite possibly the worst $15 i think ive spent on an ar accessory.

I have the Caldwell Velcro one and works great for me but I am not someone that goes out and dump's mag's either. Usually never had more than 20rds before I emptied it.

i never said anything about mag dumping, i'm just lazy and would rather be able to shoot for a while without worrying about what the catcher is doing (or not doing).

its really not that hard to be shooting and go through a couple mags at a reasonable rate of fire, especially if you have friends with you!

the caldwell that's picatinny mount can easily support over 100 pieces of brass without any issue, although i usually do stop every 3-4 mags and dump it out.

Originally Posted By: bryan hI really like the Aero Precision mount very nice and only weighs 3oz.

+1. Aero mounts are light and reasonably priced. I have one on each of my 3 AR's. Aero offers free shipping if you buy directly from their web site and spend $99. If you are LE, Fire, EMS or military they offer 10% discount. Register with them and they will send out emails with their daily deals and they do put their scope mounts on sale occasionally. You can find them on other site for less but after tax and/or shipping it may cost same or more. Sale price+10% off+free shipping=good price. If all you need is the mount you might not spend enough to get the free shipping but they have many others items you can buy. Good luck.

First off, I will strongly agree that you do not want the scope anywhere near as low to the receiver as possible. The other posters were right in the fact that you would never be able to see through it.

I'll second (third, fourth, fifth, or wherever I am) the Aero Precision Ultralight. Rock solid and crazy light. Waaaaaay lighter than the Burris for only a few dollars more.

The scope will rotate slightly when tightening, but after a couple of tries, it was easy enough to level out. Well worth the trouble for the weight saved. Good luck to your son when hunting with it!

Last edited:
Back