Anyone hunt with terriers

Jonheson

Ok I am just asking this out of curiosity if anyone hunts with terriers do you hunt them with hounds to pushe out game that the hounds run to ground or do you hunt them alone I have heard both and was wondering how it goes I have been interested them them because they don't take as much food and space as a big hound would

Terriers are great, as you mentioned they dont take up much space, or eat much food, but one thing to remember is they dont have the legs and chest capacity to keep up with a good hound. So it really depends on the type of hunting, terrain, distance, length of hunt, and temperature of the hunts you plan on using them on. The most difficult thing that I have experienced with Terriers is regardless of the animal they get on they will usually not stop, if it happens to be some particular varmint that you're not after you'll have to go retrieve them to get them to quit. They work great along side hounds, but like i mentioned they may not be able to keep up on trail, so u may need to carry them or find a way to haul them to the action.

Last edited:
Well that the way I thought it was done like when a fox hound run one to the ground the terriers were to drive it back out but know I have found a few guys talking about terriers hunting all alone and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with that way

I've got a 10# patterdale that will work a coyote as good as any dog I've ever owned. Problem is she's 10# and she's been wrecked a lot.

Back