Leupold VX-3i or other scope?

Babs9

Hey guys, figured I would get some opinions. Looking for a new scope to put on my rifle. I will be using for deer and coyotes. I don't shoot extreme distances no more than 300 yds and 200 or less is probably more realistic. Looking for something that is good in low light and dark. As all my predator hunting is done at night. The Leupold VX-3i stood out to me and is what ive been looking at. Do these ever go on sale? Anyone have an opinion on the VX-3i? and are there any other scopes you would recommend. I'd like to keep it around that $400 range.
Shooting a Savage .308..
Thanks

I recently put the VX 3i 4-14x40 on my new Rem 700 in .223. I havent had the chance to get out at night with it yet, but the glass is great! I will be able to tell you more about in about a month as far as night hunting I see it being great though. I havent ordered the CDS yet but all the reviews I have read are good for the most part. I would deff reccomend it. As far as other scopes Vortex Viper is a choice it has an illuminated recticle while the Leupold does not. I have the 4-16 FFP model on my AR10 I think it would also be a good choice.

I am a dyed in the wool fan of Leupold, big time, own many many of them. Recently purchased the VXR Firedot for a predator rifle, several new features like auto shutdown and start up of the illuminated dot with movement of any kind.

BUTT!!!! a friend of mine purchased a Vortex the other day and wow! very impressive. He bought the Vortex Crossfire II Hog Hunter illuminated Red Dot. The clarity was more the equal to any Leupold, it is super quality glass, Sad part is that it costs exactly half of the Leupold scope. Vortex Crossfire Hog Hunter 3x12x56 illuminated Red dot, $299. Freakin Great Scope for low light, 12x top end is more than enough for 300 yds
. My go to Leupold scope for 300 yards and in shots has been the VX-III 3.5x10x50 for many years now. That 12x would even make it better.

Last edited:
If I were looking for a good to great LOW light scope Leupold & Vortex wouldn't be in consideration.

If you REALLY want to know what LOW light performance you get what you pay for. Buy a European made scope - Zeiss, S&B, Swaro, Leica or Meopta with a German #4 reticle. Some of the high end Japanese made scope glass comes close but close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades.

After 47 years of hunting I much rather own a $300 rifle with a $1200 scope mounted on it than vice versa.

Last edited:
VX3i will serve you well for what you want.

Vortex scopes are also nice but my HSLR and HST Vipers have a problem when pointed in the direction of rising or setting sun - light scatter. Other than that they work well but are a little bulkier and heavier than a Leupold.

VX-3i is a good scope. For my eyes they beat any Vortex in bright light and low light, except for the Razor. For low light I like the MeoPro 3.5-10x44 German #4 I have better than the VX-3i. Other than low light the VX-3i and MeoPro are pretty equal IMO.

Originally Posted By: PrusonI am a dyed in the wool fan of Leupold, big time, own many many of them. Recently purchased the VXR Firedot for a predator rifle, several new features like auto shutdown and start up of the illuminated dot with movement of any kind.

BUTT!!!! a friend of mine purchased a Vortex the other day and wow! very impressive. He bought the Vortex Crossfire II Hog Hunter illuminated Red Dot. The clarity was more the equal to any Leupold, it is super quality glass, Sad part is that it costs exactly half of the Leupold scope. Vortex Crossfire Hog Hunter 3x12x56 illuminated Red dot, $299. Freakin Great Scope for low light, 12x top end is more than enough for 300 yds
. My go to Leupold scope for 300 yards and in shots has been the VX-III 3.5x10x50 for many years now. That 12x would even make it better.

"The clarity was more than equal to any Leupold". I tried to ignore this but I can't. There is no way any Crossfire II can touch a VX-2 or a VX-3 when it comes to glass quality. Up until August I mounted 10-15 scopes a week at work. I also have a side business mounting scopes, http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/6591369/1. I've mounted many Crossfires and not only is the glass underwhelming, the eyebox is so critical they are a pain to even bore site. I also think the concept of that specific model is silly. 3-12 magnification on a scope for hog hunting? How about a 1-4 like on a VX-Hog. That makes a lot more sense.

I have a leupold vx3i 3.5 10x50 for an ar I'm building but it's not done yet and I've never used it just looked through it in the yard. But I am debating selling it and upgrading to a nightforce shv.

Originally Posted By: MNyoteHunterI have a leupold vx3i 3.5 10x50 for an ar I'm building but it's not done yet and I've never used it just looked through it in the yard. But I am debating selling it and upgrading to a nightforce shv.

That would be a downgrade in optics if you ask me.

Originally Posted By: CZ527Originally Posted By: MNyoteHunterI have a leupold vx3i 3.5 10x50 for an ar I'm building but it's not done yet and I've never used it just looked through it in the yard. But I am debating selling it and upgrading to a nightforce shv.

That would be a downgrade in optics if you ask me.

Leupold to nightforce would be a downgrade? Do you have experience with both? I've only ever looked through a nightforce in a store.

Yes and as far as the both the NXS and SHV lines go the Leupolds are without a doubt better optically. I showed this to a friend recently, side by side at the range, and it was indisputable.

Of course, that's about as far as it goes. Their track records, pun intended, make the Nightforce a better optic for people who twist a lot of knobs. I won't say that I've shot long range using a Nightforce, because I haven't, but I have had trouble with a Leupold tracking.

Im thrilled with my VX3i's have 7 of them. For the money they are hard to beat. Do they have some areas that i woyld like to see improved? YES, But for an all around great hunting scope, you would be hard pressed to beat it....today....years ago. I perfered the older Burris Signatures...but today i go with the Leupolds.

Originally Posted By: CZ527Yes and as far as the both the NXS and SHV lines go the Leupolds are without a doubt better optically. I showed this to a friend recently, side by side at the range, and it was indisputable.

Of course, that's about as far as it goes. Their track records, pun intended, make the Nightforce a better optic for people who twist a lot of knobs. I won't say that I've shot long range using a Nightforce, because I haven't, but I have had trouble with a Leupold tracking.

Interesting. Most claim nightforce have better glass.

Originally Posted By: cdbOriginally Posted By: PrusonI am a dyed in the wool fan of Leupold, big time, own many many of them. Recently purchased the VXR Firedot for a predator rifle, several new features like auto shutdown and start up of the illuminated dot with movement of any kind.

I can never understand this. Some folks get very hung up on the Vortex Kool-Ade. However it seems that Vortex is content in letting the end user be their QC and they are simply importers. At least this is true in their lower end stuff. I'd not consider any Vortex below the PST line as serviceable. And even the PST line is not on the VX-3 level of optical resolution, edge to edge clarity, or eye box.
"The clarity was more than equal to any Leupold". I tried to ignore this but I can't. There is no way any Crossfire II can touch a VX-2 or a VX-3 when it comes to glass quality. Up until August I mounted 10-15 scopes a week at work. I also have a side business mounting scopes, http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/6591369/1. I've mounted many Crossfires and not only is the glass underwhelming, the eyebox is so critical they are a pain to even bore site. I also think the concept of that specific model is silly. 3-12 magnification on a scope for hog hunting? How about a 1-4 like on a VX-Hog. That makes a lot more sense.

Originally Posted By: MNyoteHunterOriginally Posted By: CZ527Yes and as far as the both the NXS and SHV lines go the Leupolds are without a doubt better optically. I showed this to a friend recently, side by side at the range, and it was indisputable.

Interesting. Most claim nightforce have better glass.

Probably either heard it on the web or refuse to believe they paid more for a product that's not better in every way.

I had a VX3 and thought it was a pretty good scope for the money. The glass in it was better than I was expecting for the price. The VX3 has a good balance of cost, glass quality and weight. One of the best places I've found to order them is OpticsPlanet.

I never compared it side by side with my SHV, but I'm happy with the Nightforce. I am curious now though. I'll compare the Vortex Razor LH I just recieved to the SHV and see how much of a difference it is.

Back