Cerakote in the cold.

Never had a problem, Mine functions perfectly. Rem 700 action and my Stiller Predator bolts are cerakoted. What kind of action is it
and who did the work?

Remington 700 and a cz527 actions, me and a local smith who has done hundreds did the work, they work fine till below zero then they gum up, the bolts are getting soaked in acetone tomorrow and I am cleaning them up.

Just curious is the entire bolt head including the lugs coated? Also is the bolt raceway coated and where are they binding. Do they get stuck while sliding in and out on when turning the bolt? I spray a lot of cerakote and used to do Duracoat and have never had or had a problem reported back to me. I don't coat the bolt heads so that is why I'm asking.

Interesting, as I have a 700 and a 527, and both of them are Cerakoted...and nary an issue. Thats being said, I am not an idiot, and dont coat the locking lugs and bolt face. That just make sense.

If that is the case, then the CeraKote was applied incorrectly. Either in its mix, application, cure process or technique...something is done wrong.

The bolt heads and raceways were coated, I have now stripped the boltheads and it helped but I wish it wasn't I the raceways. Things work fine till it is sub zero out then they don't work well. Couldn't get my 700 to load the other day when it was 15 below. Have any of you commenting used this product in subzero? It was applied per specs, I was there and did the prep.

They bind while sliding in and out of the raceway, back of lugs and boltface were masked off (maybe I am an idiot per above). Never had trouble till it got so cold and was in and out of the truck, in warmer temp they function perfect

I have several rifles that I have used in the 10-15 degree range with no issues but not below 0. But the bolt heads are not coated. I would take some 800 grit wet paper to the race way and smooth them out.

Where are they binding in the raceway or when turning the bolt down?

Just binding in the raceway on back and forth, not when turning the bolt. I took it off the bolthead but it was still dragging on the boltbody so I plan to take that off too. Mine have been used a lot at 0-20 degrees with no troubles, lots of frost on those days too.

Good luck getting it off with acetone ;-)!

Only way off is blasting it.

I have a couple guns with actions cerakoted, used in subzero temps with no issues.

4ff7497bf3b0d8.69640047.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: W. Chad ShultzThe bolt heads and raceways were coated, I have now stripped the boltheads and it helped but I wish it wasn't I the raceways. Things work fine till it is sub zero out then they don't work well. Couldn't get my 700 to load the other day when it was 15 below. Have any of you commenting used this product in subzero? It was applied per specs, I was there and did the prep.

Yep! Plenty of below zero use and nary an issue. This is the first case of such troubles I have heard.

Originally Posted By: W. Chad ShultzDang, maybe it was applied too thick or something?

Too thick, maybe...the mix could have been just a touch off making it less slippery...IDK. I am just saying from experience, I have never seen an issue with cold and CeraKote.

Maybe it got a little piled up in the corners of the raceways when sprayed and cured that way? Just thinking out loud.......the cold-only problem is interesting......

Back