6x6.8 brass sizing

tj66

I am trying to neck down Hornady 6.8 brass to 6x6.8. Am using redding type s die starting with a 285 bushing. Next step I'm trying to use 269 and it is just crushing the brass. I'm not running any expander. Am using imperial wax. Has anyone else had this problem? Thinking I probably need a third step in between, but everyone talks about 2 steps. Or has Hornady brass changed?

Last edited:
Yes I removed the decapping rod also. I chamfered them lightly. Maybe I should hit them harder. I also thought about turning my 285 to numbers down and running them through again to give them just a little more. They start into the bushing maybe a 1/8th inch and then just shove the neck into the shoulder. I didn't know if Hornady's necks were thicker now or not.

I think I found my problem. The wilson bushing I have doesn't have hardly any chamfer on the lead=in area. I hadn't looked at it closely. I just put it in "numbers up" I flipped it over which should be wrong and they are running through allright. I'll have to get another one. Thanks for your help Greg.

The best ones are the chamfer have been Wilsons. I do use Reddings some but mostly the W's. My method is to run the case up to the bushing and then pop it into the opening. I haven't crushed a case in a long time except for trying to run a Grendel up in the 6.8 die.

I'm using Imperial on the necks most of the time but I do use Hornady One Shot if I am lazy that day. Ritch and I are loading FC, that is thinner, and the old SSA. The odd lot of Remington is also used which, BTW ,does give a tad higher velocities thanks to the large priers from what we've seen. I have not bought any Hornady because of the once fired brass deal I ran into two years ago though Ritch has loaded some.

Greg

I recently had a similar problem crushing cases with the 269 bushing. The 285 and 270 was fine, but the 269 crushed case after case. Mine also had very little chamfering. I solved it by ordering a 267 instead and it works perfect.

Hey Greg, here's a 2nd guy crushing cases with the 269 Wilson bushing. Maybe it wasn't "just me" afterall? Possible Wilson has a bad batch of bushings...

Possibly the chamfer is not as drastic. One side on mine is much more, that is without the numbers, and I always run them numbers up. I a not above running them through a gutted 6.8 die first. I also prefer to do them in 0.010 increments but I have done many in the 0.015 range. I started with Reddings BTW and never had an issue with SSA brass.

Greg

I've got a Redding 269 bushing that sizes 266. Just to point out that bushings do get mis-labeled or might not be quite right.

[
quote=204 AR]I've got a Redding 269 bushing that sizes 266. Just to point out that bushings do get mis-labeled or might not be quite right. [/quote]

I had that thought first, but it measured .269 with my caliper. Not trying to hack on anyone, I just think I got a bad bushing. It happens... I've already got another one coming.

Back