Lead Free 220 Swift bullet for Coyotes

Unless you have to shoot lead free bullets I wouldn't use them.
Most of the 22-250 and 220 Swifts have barrel twists that are to slow for the 50 gr and bigger lead free bullets.

I have to shoot lead free bullets so I had a 1-8" twist barrel put on my 22-250 so it would stabilize the 55 gr and heavier lead free bullets.

I have seen some coyotes shot with the Hornady 35 gr NTX lead free and the Nosler 40 gr Ballistic Tip Varmint bullets out of a 22-250.

I just prefer a heavier bullet for coyotes out of a 220 Swift or 22-250.

Having to shoot lead free bullets through the slow twisted 220 Swift and 22-250 rifles really sucks.

You could try the Barnes TSX 45 gr copper bullet to see if it will stabilize. They will cost over twice as much as the lead free varmint bullets, but they maybe more fur friendly than the Varmint bullets.

I'm waiting on a box of Barnes tsx 45 grain for my 22-250 savage predator with a 1 in 12" barrel twist and 85 grain Barnes tsx for my savage 243 Winchester with a 1 in 9.25" barrel twist because of the coming ban on lead bullets in July 1, 2019 for bobcat and coyote hunting . I wanted to start figuring out now instead of waiting for the inevitable ! Anybody got any thoughts if I'm starting in the right direction or not ?

I know commiefornia is a lost cause and getting worse all the time . I just hope for now I can figure out a lead free load for both rifles with their twist rates .

I've had very good luck with the Nosler 55gr .243 lead frees. Accurate and easy on fur. The 62gr VG'd blew big exits in the coyotes I shot with them out of my 6mm-204 at about 3600-3700 fps.

Maybe Barnes or one of the other makers will start building a few real lightweight monos for the varmint hunter in the Commie states.

Something like a 35/40 in the 22s and 55/60 in the 24s.

Too bad something non toxic but as dense or more dense than lead is so expensive, could get by with same weights as lead and be able to run standard twist rates.

Good to here that .I was concerned my twist rate of 1in 12" might give me some trouble in 22-250 trying to stabilize a longer bullet to grain weight . But I know all rifles have their own personality also . So I'm trying the Barnes tsx 45 gr. In 22-250 1 in 12 twist and 85 grain tsx in 243 Winchester 1 in 9.25 twist and hope it all works out .

The two coyotes in my avatar were shot with my 220 Swift using Barnes 36 gr Varmint Grenades. I have had very good experience with this bullet but I don't use it a lot just due to the wind we get here during the winter months. On a lot of days, with the wind it is just too light of a bullet.
I shoot it loaded with AA2700 on the hotter side and it has been very accurate for me. My Swift is the Remington 700 VSSF (original version) with a 1:14 twist barrel.

Originally Posted By: Bobby yoteGood to here that .I was concerned my twist rate of 1in 12" might give me some trouble in 22-250 trying to stabilize a longer bullet to grain weight . But I know all rifles have their own personality also . So I'm trying the Barnes tsx 45 gr. In 22-250 1 in 12 twist and 85 grain tsx in 243 Winchester 1 in 9.25 twist and hope it all works out .

The Barnes 80 gr Tipped TSX bullets shot better than the 85 gr TSX bullets out of my 243 Win and My 243 WSSM AR-15 that I had.

If your not shooting big game the Nosler 6mm 55gr Ballistic Tip Lead Free Varmint Bullet has been working good for me on coyotes and they are quite a bit cheaper.

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbob

If your not shooting big game the Nosler 6mm 55gr Ballistic Tip Lead Free Varmint Bullet has been working good for me on coyotes and they are quite a bit cheaper.
Bob, the 55 NBTLF is a lot longer than the lead 55 NBT, does it require much change to your load? Seating depth?

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGOriginally Posted By: derbyacresbob

Bob, the 55 NBTLF is a lot longer than the lead 55 NBT, does it require much change to your load? Seating depth?

I don't know I never loaded the lead 55 gr NBT bullet in my 243 Win.

My C.O.L. on the 55 gr Lead Free NBT is 2.650" with 39.0 gr of Benchmark.

I have also used the 50 and 53 Barnes TSX in 14 twist rifles with good success. Very accurate, and fur friendly. These bullets do not come apart like varmint bullets so you need to do your part and shoot strait. But well placed shots do their job. I tried the Hornady GSX and my rifles would not shoot them as accurately, so I have no experience on animals.

Back