Baiting

Had this red coming in past few nights. Photon worked fine in snow at 125 yards.

The retrieve

DRT

53 gr Vmax no exit

Last edited:

Gobbler and Pmack, nice going.

I would have thought the 53 V-Max would have exited a critter as small and thin-skinned as a fox. Did you shoot him broadside, length ways or where? Just curious and trying to learn something about this bullet.

What caliber and load are you using Gobbler?

Every time I shoot something with those 53grn vmax it's messy....I've had a few foxes almost cut In Half...
Congrats on the red. Just put my bait put last week!

I recently shot a gray broadside with a 50 vmax out of a 16" AR, and was surprised that I had a small entry and no exit, but the bullet did break the opposite shoulder so that might have stopped the exit. I've had some real messes with the 204 and even the 17 Rem. on fox.

Nice going Pmack

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
What caliber and load are you using Gobbler?

Hi 6 (David)!Glad to hear from you again. My, you have been busy getting the fur. Nice.
I am using Hornady Superformance 53 gr. V-max in a .223. That's all I use in that particular gun. They seem to shoot the best for me. Since my fur man is not taking furs this year due to illness, I have not been as careful with shot placement. My main goal has always been to get rid of the predators anyway.

Originally Posted By: K9SNIPERLeatherneck, I stake road kill deer with rebar stakes. I have for years. The coyotes don't care, they'll eat right around it.

I have been using metal mining roof bolts for stakes for years also. The coyotes don't mind the metal.

Checked trail cam Wednesday morning and knew I had another canine on it before seeing the pics cause my puppy's hair was standing on end and she was barking into the woods. Turns out it was another red, I should have switched it to video but I didn't. Wednesday is wing night and we had just gotten home from dinner and a few pops with the neighbors. As soon as I sat at the computer the alarm went off.

You can see the IR light in the background.

Picture session didn't go to well trying to hold dog and direct the wife

Dark markings big bushy tail

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pmackChecked trail cam Wednesday morning and knew I had another canine on it before seeing the pics cause my puppy's hair was standing on end and she was barking into the woods. Turns out it was another red, I should have switched it to video but I didn't. Wednesday is wing night and we had just gotten home from dinner and a few pops with the neighbors. As soon as I sat at the computer the alarm went off.

You can see the IR light in the background.

Very nice, love the pic with the dog, sure looks like a purdy coat on that one.

Picture session didn't go to well trying to hold dog and direct the wife

Dark markings big bushy tail

Back