New binoculars ~ Leica vs. Vortex

Ricky Bobby

Way overdue for a new binocular for hunting and general duty. Looking at Vortex Razor HD 10x42 and the Leica Trinovid HD 10x42 ... with the Vortex unit being slightly more expensive than the Leica's. Anyone here have any preference between the two???

Leica's are easily better. Also look at the Meopta Meouro HD. I feel they are the best value at the price point. But as for your original comparison, the Leica easily beat the Vortex.

Test them out for yourself outside a store at dusk.

Personally I love my Vortex Razor 10x42 binos and I looked through a ton of different ones (Not those Leica's though). Buy what feels good in your hands and against your eyes. I have never wanted for anything more than my Razor's though.

The only concern I'd have is what kind of customer service does the leica have should the need ever arise??? I've heard they are pretty slow when it comes to warranty stuff. No experience myself so I could be completely wrong. The only leica I own is a 1600b rangefinder. Other than that I think you'd be pleased with either!!! I don't think there's many who will argue that the vortex razor line of binoculars are pretty dang good!!!

Leica being slow is an understatement. It will take 2-3 weeks just to get a notification that they received the binos for repair. Another month to get a price quote or notice of warranty repair. Then they go into the line. Expect at least 3 months. I have a pair of Geovids at the repair center now. I hope I have them back by p-dog time in May.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pahntr760Leica's are easily better. Also look at the Meopta Meouro HD. I feel they are the best value at the price point. But as for your original comparison, the Leica easily beat the Vortex.

I have the Meopta's and really like them. There is also a new player in the optics field called Tract. I've been fortunate enough to look through a set of their Toric 10x42. I liked them better than my Meopta. I'm not an expert though. I heard about Tract on another website and googling their name produced a fair amount of info. I've been a huge Meopta fan for a few years and would like a set of Tract binoculars but already have my Meopta, and can't afford two. My next scope will be a Tract though. YMMV.

I have been running a pair of Swarovski 10x42 SLC's the past 20 years and they have served me well. A couple of months ago I had a chance to compare them side by side with a current SLC, a Razor HD and a Leupold BX3 pro guide and they were all better glass than my old SLC's. Boy how technology has made things great. A lot of good choices out there.

Back