Vortex Viper HS-T vs. Leupold Vx-6 vs. Zeiss Conquest

rtaylor

Hi guys I need a little help. I'm trying to make a decision on glass for a Tikka T3 lite .243. I'm trying to keep the whole rig fairly light since I will be hunting with it. I would like a scope that I can shoot out to 500 yards with. Trying to keep it below 1k and these 3 keep coming to the front. Which would you prefer? I like the 3-18 power of the Leupold since I'll be hunting from brush to powerlines. Open to any other suggestions.

Of those you have listed, here is MY order:

VX-6, Conquest (assuming HD5) and the Vortex.

I use a VX-6 3-18 and a Conquest HD5 5-25. Both are phenomenal (optically) and have also found them both to track well. I believe the Leupold has the edge for weight.

The vortex is a good scope has nice turrets but it's not in the same league as the other two in glass I don't think. I have been pondering the vx 6 4-24 but don't know if I can't get the reticle I want on it.

I keep hearing the Vortex isn't in the same league which is probably true. I just wondering if there is a $500 difference in quality?

My dad has an HS-T on one of his rifles, the issue I have with it is I have a he11 of a time getting the PA adjusted then getting the focus to clear up once the reticle is set. Seems like everytime I get the PA set and the reticle stops dancing around, I have to adjust the focus on the ocular.

I'm not a real big Luepold fan and I've only got a couple older Vari X III with AO's on my 17 HMR and 17 WSM but I never have this problem with them.

I had a Zeiss HD5 ordered for my 17 Hornet but ended up building a new rifle and that Zeiss order turned into a new NF for the new build but the little time I've spent handling one the Zeiss HD5 seems like a very quality piece in a relatively light package.

I've heard a lot of good things about the Burris Veracity so maybe take a look at one of those, too.

I've never used one either, but I'm not sure how much there is to learn. Because the reticle is in FFP vs. SFP, once you figure out the drops for your load, the BDC-style reticle should be relatively accurate no matter what magnification you have the scope set to. Maybe people with more FFP experience can confirm or deny that, but I believe this is the plus side of a FFP scope if you want to use a BDC reticle.

I have both the ZX-6 and the Vortex HS-LR. Not sure how it compares to the HS-T. I have never owned a Zeiss. The glass in the Vortex is solid mid range glass, the turrets track true, and it has taken years of use/abuse and never failed me. It has been a fine scope, and I ended up buying 4 more Viper PST scopes due to my satisfaction with the lower priced HS line. When I bought Vortex I didn't feel they had much worthy competition at the price point for long range scopes. Now just a few years later there are many brands to choose from that can match or beat them in features and glass quality. The VX-6 is one such optic. It is lighter, turrets track just as true, and the glass absolutely kills the Vortex. I'm not bashing Vortex because I'm very pleased with the scopes I have, but I will not be buying any more when there are scopes like the VX-6 in the same price point.

Originally Posted By: rtaylorI keep hearing the Vortex isn't in the same league which is probably true. I just wondering if there is a $500 difference in quality?

For me, yes.

Vortex pros: good warranty, good tube, good turrets.

Cons: sub par glass, poor light transmission, terrible eye relief, reticle that is difficult to see in low light. Stiff zoom ring

I started out with a Bushnell dusk to dawn and preferred the glass over the glass over the vortex HS.

I have a BSA on my .17 hmr and it has better function than my 2 vortex scopes for low light and distances less than 200 yards.

Recently purchased a Minox for my .223 and so far I am more pleased with the glass, focus, reticle, light transmission, focus ring over the vortex HS.

From my experience I find that if you purchased a vortex for $600 it includes a $200 scope with a $400 insurance policy.

Originally Posted By: BleedsBlueVortex pros: good warranty, good tube, good turrets.

Cons: sub par glass, poor light transmission, terrible eye relief, reticle that is difficult to see in low light. Stiff zoom ring

I started out with a Bushnell dusk to dawn and preferred the glass over the glass over the vortex HS.

I have a BSA on my .17 hmr and it has better function than my 2 vortex scopes for low light and distances less than 200 yards.

Recently purchased a Minox for my .223 and so far I am more pleased with the glass, focus, reticle, light transmission, focus ring over the vortex HS.

From my experience I find that if you purchased a vortex for $600 it includes a $200 scope with a $400 insurance policy.

WOW!!! That's a reach with the BSA statement.

Originally Posted By: coyotezapperOriginally Posted By: BleedsBlueVortex pros: good warranty, good tube, good turrets.

WOW!!! That's a reach with the BSA statement.

Might be but it's probably not a long one. His anology about a 200 dollar scope and a 400 dollar insurance policy is right on the money. I've been a self proclaimed vortex brasher for a long time, I tried to koolaid but had to spit it out. I can echo every negative said in this thread about vortex scopes, I've dealt with a few including but not limited to the the first gen Razor HD which was a huge bulky heavy POS with coke bottle bottoms for glass and manhole sized turrets that didn't track well at all. Glad I got out of my vortex experiences cheap, lesson learned.

I've got a 3-18 VX-6 with the low profile CDS turrets cut in MOA. It's a fantastic scope with probably the best glass I've ever seen in a Leupold scope. I moved a few scopes around last spring and It's currently sitting in my vault just waiting for another rifle to be paired with. I could sell it but I have a tendency to hang on to nice scopes like this. I've been thinking it might be time to install it on my Cooper M38 in 221 Fireball.

FWIW the VX3 glass is very good also. Better than vortex, Burris and the old Conquest line of Zeiss scopes.

I don't know much about the new Zeiss glass, don't care either. Their new stuff just doesn't have a solid feel to it like the old Conquest series scopes did. Lighter means thinner and more plastic. It just seems they have gone cheap. The big negative is their warranty and service work can be timed with a sun dial or by the seasons if you prefer an easier method. Send it in during the spring, get it back in the winter.. I sold the few I've had and won't buy any more.

Thanks for all the replies. I've decided on the VX-6 and now I have to decide which reticle to get. The choices can be overwhelming.

Back