22-250 barrel twist rate

clawson

I am planning on purchasing a 22-250, but am at a lost on what barrel twist rate would be best for my use. The weapon would be used for coyotes at distances out to 300 yards. Any suggestions welcomed.

Most I believe come with a 12 twist. Do you have an option on the barrel twist? I was just talking to DropaDog on the phone this morning. He says that His rifle with the 12 twist shoots a 55 gr pretty well. I Mentiond that If I got one for a Calling rifle, I would opt for a 9 or 10 twist to sling the heavier bullets much faster than I can in My .223. Just My own thoughts.

I don't remember the rate in my Savage 11 fcns but it shoots 50gr Vmax @ < 3/8" at 100 & 11/16" at 200yds. off of bags.
These are my loads but it did < 1/2" with Hornady superformance varmint.

I think you will find most are 1-14 twist that should do what you want out to 300 yds. I had a 22-250 built and went with a 1-12 so I could shoot the 53 gr VMax. Haven't done it so far I shoot 52 gr Berger match bullets. I tried some 55 gr Nosler ballistic tips too. There are some fast twist factory guns out there just have to check the different makers.

This is at 100yds and the next one is 200

image.jpg1_zpsvgdptpcu.jpg

image.jpg1_zpsplksffna.jpg

I haven't worked with the 55gr Nosler much but this is at 100 yds

image_zpsk2ktgquc.jpeg

It worked out to 500yds with the 52s

image.jpg1_zpsmirdpwon.jpg

MasterBlaster

I would go 12 twist. I have 3 Remingtons which are 14 and I have yet to get one to shoot anything other than 40s to my liking. I have two new Savages with a 12 twist and they love the 60 Nosler bt over varget. 5 shot half inch groups are not uncommon. 3 shots will make a nice little hole. They did almost as good with the 53 vmax. A friend also has a model 11 that shoots that same load at about .75 with 5 shot groups. I have a model 10 predator that wears a Steven's 200 barrel that likes the 53s as well.

Last edited:
My Axis in a 1:12 twist and it will STACK Hornady 55g Spire Point. I am zeroed at 200 yards and hold dead on anything out to 250 with no worries.

Back