wet tumbling, where have you been all my life?!

kooman

just did my first batch with my Frankfort arsenal wet tumbler, all I can say is holy crap, this thing is amazing!! the only complaint I have is it doesn't come with sunglasses

Aint they purty? I save $50 a month on my electric bill every month by dumping the freshly dried brass out of my Thumler into small piles around the house and turning off all the lights. Still need sunglasses even then!
thumbup1.gif

welcome to the sickness. it really is a step above. the bad part is you're never going back now lol

however dont get rid of your dry tumbler just yet.

i find that if you decap before cleaning like most of us do, you still need to pre-clean your brass somewhat - even if you're only using a universal decapper. WIth my case feeder, dumping in non-cleaned cases just causes problems - they dont feed right, hang up in the hopper, etc.

so i usually dry tumble for ~15 mins now before going into the case feeder to be decapped. Just enough to get the grit and grime off and a lot less time than drying a batch out of the wet tumbler.

HTH

I wipe them off with a towel and then set them primer side up in an mtm case so any water inside the case can run out. leave them that way overnight and then move cases to a dry mtm case and tip the original mtm case over to dry out the small amount of moisture that may be in it. Nothing fancy but it works and I end up with nice shiny cases with no water spots. I could never go back to dry tumbling.

Originally Posted By: Schod03I have an old food dehydrator I put them in overnight, dry as a bone in the morning.

^^^^^^this, one of the cheap round dehydrators from a yard sale, drys my brass in about a hour

Cabelas had the Frankfort platinum kit for 129.99, I picked one up and I been piling up dirty brass until I get a few hundred. Have not put together a separator,anyone have a home built that will work down to 17 rem case size show me your project.

I stack in a plastic box primer hole down and use an old hair dryer. Takes about 5 min. with it on high heat. I only do about 120 at time. Then I check again for pins with my flashlight, that I might have missed the first time.

Dump them in a cookie pan and stick them in the oven at 200 degrees for a few hours. You can do as many as your oven will hold.

Originally Posted By: Schod03I have an old food dehydrator I put them in overnight, dry as a bone in the morning.

i find i can dry them in a Ronco style dehydrator in just about 2 hours.

i do towel dry mine outside to help with waterspotting, but i'm on a well and frankly speaking am too [beeep] lazy to go buy distilled water to rinse with.

got mine at a garage sale for $5

two trays will usually hold 5 lbs of (most) brass, which for my final cleaning = 1 hour or so in the tumbler. so by the time the 3rd batch is coming out of final cleaning, the first is coming out of the dryer.

(stock photo from the web)
512YENSM00L.jpg

some smaller pistol cases will tip down through the larger holes, so i picked up a couple fruit dehydrator rings and trimmed them to size (they were for a diff dehydrator but cheapest ones)

http://a.co/0D5UL1W
41SCKDW9JNL.jpg

Back