Any butt guys here?

fw707

I put these on at 7:00 this morning.
20 pounds total.
grin.gif

I can't wait to get back home and fire up the smoker again. Them look mighty fine, Jeff. Think you can get an APO box of it over here?
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: fw707Yes, that counts!
grin.gif

amen!

and yours turned out looking mighty fine too, nothing wrong with some 'bark' on the outside! i've always said its kind of like smoked brisket, the bark is often the best part!

Thanks P-One!
Yep I was just kidding about burning them. The bark is where all the good flavoring is, and it gets all mixed in as it's pulled.
It starts out with a good rub, and then a half-dozen chunks of soaked hickory smoke like crazy for the first couple hours or so. I keep it sprayed with apple juice every hour or so for the last half of the cook to keep it moist.
Both of these turned out great. One is on the way to MO with family right now, and the other one will be here for family the next couple days before Christmas.
I'm gonna glaze and smoke a big spiral-cut ham on the cooker Christmas morning.
thumbup1.gif

if you havent messed with one yet - i strongly suggest you give one of these a try
https://www.amazenproducts.com/category_s/12.htm

AMNPS5X8-2.gif

you load em up with hardwood pellets, light one end, and get 8-12 hours of smoke out of them. then all you gotta do is fire tend.

i got mine originally for my electric smoker, but when i got my offset barrel smoker it worked exceptional in there too. Takes the whole process down to just fire tending then and not worrying about running out of smoke, especailly on long cooks.

i did find the pellets a bit tough to light, but propane torch = win
smile.gif

when i want extra smoke, i light both ends. however fair note - if you have to refresh part way through the process, dump the hots out before refilling, or the whole thing will light up at once and burn out in 45 mins or so lol

some salmon i did this fall, blended pellets and apple charcoal in the fire box. totally worth the extra time and effort over the electric!

20160928_221540_zps3ncdziln.jpg

Originally Posted By: Plant.OneOriginally Posted By: fw707Yes, that counts!
grin.gif

amen!

and yours turned out looking mighty fine too, nothing wrong with some 'bark' on the outside! i've always said its kind of like smoked brisket, the bark is often the best part!

Roger that. Can smell the mesquite smoke now!

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: Plant.Oneif you havent messed with one yet - i strongly suggest you give one of these a try
https://www.amazenproducts.com/category_s/12.htm

AMNPS5X8-2.gif

you load em up with hardwood pellets, light one end, and get 8-12 hours of smoke out of them. then all you gotta do is fire tend.

i got mine originally for my electric smoker, but when i got my offset barrel smoker it worked exceptional in there too. Takes the whole process down to just fire tending then and not worrying about running out of smoke, especailly on long cooks.

i did find the pellets a bit tough to light, but propane torch = win
smile.gif

when i want extra smoke, i light both ends. however fair note - if you have to refresh part way through the process, dump the hots out before refilling, or the whole thing will light up at once and burn out in 45 mins or so lol

some salmon i did this fall, blended pellets and apple charcoal in the fire box. totally worth the extra time and effort over the electric!

20160928_221540_zps3ncdziln.jpg

I had one of them for a while. It worked quite well. Now I have a Traeger. Yeah, it is cheating if you ask the traditionalists...but I sure like it!

traditional means nothing to me, i'm a results guy
smile.gif
If the end result is delicious, i dont care if its from coal, blocks, chips, or pellets.

those traeger's look pretty [beeep] nice, but i scored such a deal on my offset that i couldnt say no. Char-Broil 48" with 16" offset box (i think anyway, maybe 14") for $40 on the clearance rack at walmart was hard to say no to.

Originally Posted By: Plant.Onetraditional means nothing to me, i'm a results guy
smile.gif
If the end result is delicious, i dont care if its from coal, blocks, chips, or pellets.

those traeger's look pretty [beeep] nice, but i scored such a deal on my offset that i couldnt say no. Char-Broil 48" with 16" offset box (i think anyway, maybe 14") for $40 on the clearance rack at walmart was hard to say no to.

If it weren't for the pricing I get for selling Traegers, I don't know if i would have one. But I am very glad I do have it. I've done everything from cheese to ribs, brisket to ham, turkeys and we make pizza and cookies on the thing...they're an awesome contraption.

Originally Posted By: LazerusNo such thing as "burnt"....thats just hard core flavor right there.

Yes it sure it is.
thumbup1.gif

It all gets pulled and/or chopped and mixed right back in with the rest.
We took one to my in-laws this evening with 3 home-made sauces and a bottle of Ray's and fed a whole bunch of folks, and still have a bunch left!

Back