Resizing 270 to 25-06?

Timberbeast7

I've got a bunch of once fired 270 brass that I'd like to use in my 25-06. Anybody had any issues sizing it straight to 25-06 (any need to go through a 6.5-06 die first)? I see that the 25-06 case is slightly shorter, any issues sizing the brass and then trimming it to length? Thanks.

i never had a problem, i resized 30-06 and 270 to 25-06 and trim them to size. the cases resized from 30-06 will probably need trimming after firing also. some say that they get a donut around the neck when resizing from 30-06 but i never had a problem with that.

The "donuts" are caused by the die not being setup properly. Just screw the die in a little more and that will take care of that..

Size, and reload. I stopped using 30-06 brass some years ago just because I have all three mentioned, and like the head stamps to be correct for the chambering, but nothin wrong with 30-06 brass in a 25-06. I plan on using the 30-06 brass in the future for a 338-06 build.

No problem with the sizing, but you need to come up with a way to mark the case head. I file a small groove across the flat, which works OK for me, but that's because I know what the groove means. Someone else who happens to get hold of the ammo would almost certainly think it was 270. Chances are they wouldn't notice the bullet was kinda skinny for a 270.

I guess it would chamber and fire in a 270, and probably wouldn't damage anything, but that's something we really don't need to try.

Just curious if any of you could recommend an favorite load for the 25-06 I understand you need to find a load for your gun, but looking for some recommendations. Thanks

Originally Posted By: SnowyoteJust curious if any of you could recommend an favorite load for the 25-06 I understand you need to find a load for your gun, but looking for some recommendations. Thanks

Varmint, or big game?

i like 3006 brass because it doesnt trim so much. the donut is gone in the first firing. 270 brass seams like you have to trim a half in off. i never got a good load worked up but i was trying the 75-90gr pills.my buddy uses imr4350

Snowyote, here's a couple loads that work for me. Take them for what they are, loads that work in my rifle, not necessarily in your's.

Neither are max loads in the manuals but you should still start a couple grains lower and work up.

Varmint load...
Bullet...75 gr Sierra flat base hollow point #1600
Primer..F-210
Powder...57 gr IMR-4831
Avg mzl velocity...3510 fps 10 ft from mzl
200 yd 5 shot group...1.132"

Game load..
Bullet....100 gr Barnes TSX
Primer...F-215 magnum
Powder...54 gr Reloder 22
Avg Velocity...3222 fps 10 ft from mzl
100 yd 5 shot group.... .789"

Another good game load....
Bullet...100 gr Nosler BT
Primer...F-210
Powder...56.5 gr AA-3100
Avg vel...3420 fps 10 ft from mzl
100 yd 5 shot group... .978"
Unfortunately AA-3100 has been discontinued, supposedly temporarily but who knows?

Last edited:
Thanks 280 fan I'll get to the test loads, I have heard alot of good things about the TSX bullet. Primarily looking for a small game load deer, antelope, and hopefully a wolf. But if an occasional yote should wonder through the crosshairs, I will only hesitate long enough to take it off safty.

Thanks for the input guys. I'll probably do some resizing this next week. I've been thinking about a way to mark the cases since I do have a 30-06 and a 270 as well. Filing a mark on the base is a good idea... it beats my sharpie idea.

Rem 700
57g of R#19
Win case
Win primer
100g speer btsp
seated .040 off the lands
3375 fps
I bump the shoulder every firing with a forster neck sizer
unreal accurate load-1"300 yds

WARNING: this load is a warm load, lot# of powder vary 5%, so work up to this load starting at 54g and work up.

Back