What Gun For Hogs Do You Like Best?

Just curious to see what people like, I assume the majority of people use AR's I included. But I havn't always used it, mainly because I didn't have one but at one point I used an old Marlin 336 .30-30 lever action, which always worked great for where I hunted. Short shots that sometimes needed to be fired in rapid succession which the lever action was quick enough for that. The .30-30 stopped them with ease also, with a small grain .223 you're limited to mainly ear/head shots unless your using medium game loads.

So what do you like?

...Jaycob...

Last edited:
I have hunted with an AR-15 as well as a bolt 223. but well felt unsure of my shots out past 100. I came into a 25-06 and it is my go to rifle when pigs are about. I feel very comfortable nailing them clean shot one shot kills out to 250 even 300 yards with this rifle. Hey even the BARNS TTSX loads dropped a double for me a few weeks back.

I started out using a 223 16" AR and it served me well for a few years shooting 75gr PPU match bullets Loaded with WC842. Killed about 300 hogs with it. Then stepped up to a 16" 6.8 AR shooting 120gr SST and it dropped them really hard.
Then stepped it up another notch with a Flir RS32 and after killing another 400 hogs they are hard to find around here now it seems.

I took my R700 308 one time and that was the worst mistake ive ever made. Ride up on a group of 10 hogs and only 5 rounds isnt a good feeling.
I went straight back to the AR with 30rd mags and 3 extra mags on me.

Doin deer Deperdations i went to a 18" 223 AR and 64 grain Gold Dot reloads. Last night we spooked this big dude and after a gut shot and a spine shot he was down for the count.

330#

Last edited:
6.8 w/120gr SST 1st choice and second choice 45 cal Blackhawk loaded with 360-365 grain Lead I used to kill them all the time with a Rem model 7 in 260 w/140 gr Nosler Partition. My little gun has the 18 " barrel and is handy. But I finally went the way of the AR.

A short barreled 6.5lb. .308 Bolt Gun with a 10 rd AR style magazine and a scout scope for both eyes open work. Gonna try it out later this month down in Tejas. No hogs to be found here in Newer Mexico, at least by anybody I have talked to, and trust me I've been looking hard for em.

I have a 10'' 300 blackout with a silencer and a sig echo 1 thermal on it that I love, use it with the sig sauer 300 black out 120 grain hunting bullets or 110 ttsx.

I also have a 18'' 6.9 spc that I use 95 gr ttsx - I use this gun from a "controlled setting" like a deer blind or something, the black out rides in the truck with me and is good at flying out the window.

Blackout is great, never made a long range shot with it on a pig but data suggests that maybe it wont do so well but all that is totally relative when it comes to pigs. Okay so I hit the pig but the pig didn't die.....well if youre shooting lead bullets (the ttsx is copper, not fully sure about the sig bullet, its brutal though, great results) it will eventually die and since they are the largest ecological threat in our country, who cares, its dead.

I like to take pics of the things I kill and use them to talk trash to my buddies who aren't hunting that weekend so I like a DRT (Dead right there) round.

You gotta have a high cap mag, when you don't have one is when you need it,

Im building a 458 socom for kicks, really excited.

Last edited:
+1 for the 6.8spc . 95 gr barnes ,110gr accu-bonds ,120gr sst`s . Whichever your gun likes best . The 22" brl on mine shoots all 3 equally well . If you dont reload,try 115gr federal fusion factory ammo .

Last edited:
My HK 10" SBR with 70 grain Barnes TSX handloads took down this 408 pound boar with one shot at 125 meters and is one of my favorites.

Big%20Ass%20Boar%20HK3.jpg

Started out with a bolt 270 then the 6.8 came along.
The 6.8 with a 120SST or 90gr Gold Dots rocks.
I have a SIX5 Gremlin barrel and parts ordered to play with next.

my fave rifle is my vz58 in 7.62x39
lightweight rifle,open sights,modded to take AR mags
very rarely do i get to shoot at a pigs past 80 yards.
not had any runners when shot either

I like my Ruger Blackhawk .41Mag out to 50yds. 50-100yds, I'll be using my newly acquired SKS. Beyond 100yds, my M70 in ought-six. Just depends on the terrain as to which rifle I'll carry, but the .41 will be with me always.

If I'm shooting from a stand, I'll use my .25 Benjamin Armada.

If I'm out to spot-and-stalk, then I prefer my Marlin .45-70 because I don't want to be underpowered if one of those leg-rippin' critters gets in the mood to have a close-up, face-to-face conversation. In that situation, I REALLY wanna stop him - you know: DRT.

If I'm out hunting for something else (i.e., whitetails), I'll be carrying my Ruger Blackhawk in .41Mag with a red dot sight in a shoulder holster. I've only had to use it once, but that 250lb piece of pork dropped like a bag o' hammers.

Back