Backup 20 ga Shotgun for Coyote Hunting

Old No7

I posted recently about "who uses a backup shotgun" while hunting for coyotes with a rifle, and this is an update to that...

I've had a few surprises while hunting coyotes in the past... Nothing as wild as the videos of the guys out west who "get run over" by aggressive 'yotes, but enough to make me want to keep a small/light shotgun handy when I'm on stand with my Triple Deuce Rem 700.

Mossberg makes a dandy "Turkey Thug" model in 20 gauge, with a telescoping AR-style buttstock and pistol grip, with fiber-optic sights, all painted in camo -- but they sell for $579 new at Cabela's. And the best I've ever seen one used in a pawn or gun shop was $450. I had to believe I could do a little better than that...

Well, a lot of watching and waiting finally lead up to this new addition to my stable...

I won this used Mossberg 20 ga Camo Bantam on Gunbroker for only $174 shipped. Other than a few scratches in the paint, it's in excellent mechanical condition and has a 21" barrel with screw-in chokes, QD swivel studs and fiber-optic sights already installed on the rib:
Mssbrg_500_20_pump_1-before_Small_.jpg

Then for $90 shipped, I added this Phoenix Technology "KickLite" tactical-style stock kit, in olive drab:
Mssbrg_500_20_Phnx_Tech_Kicklite_Small_.jpg

It turns out the forearm of the kit won't work on the shorter slide tube of the Bantam models, but that's OK, as I didn't really buy the kit expecting to use that piece anyhow. I will add the 5-shell shellholder for sure though.

So here's what it looks like now...
Mssbrg_500_20_pump_2-after_Small_.jpg

I call this my: "Coyote Thug"

For less than half the new price of a Cabela's purchase, I think this will work out really well for me. I like the idea of beling able to adjust the length of the stock when I'm dressed up in multiple layers of wool & camo during the c-c-c-cold Maine winters. And the recoil-resisting (spring assembly in tube) feature of the KickLite Stock could be useful someday when the grandkids (none yet...) ever want to go turkey hunting. With the low costs and camo finish, if it gets beat up a little dragging it around the woods, well that's OK, at least I won't be scratching up my nice Browning BPS 20 ga.

Now I need to go and call some fur!
wink.gif

Come to think of it...........

I just might leave this handy in the house for my wife whenever I travel on business. It would be dandy in the home defense role too.

Tight groups.

Old No7

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotjust wondering why a 20 and not a 12?

I agree, why not a 12 ga?

I use a rifle to backup my 12 ga. If your shotgun is not in your hands or in your lap it is almost impossible to switch to a shotgun in time on many of the shotgun coyote opportunities that you will get.

i use a 20 ga due to recoil. arthriris in my shoulders (& everywhere else) makes for painful shooting that may cause a flinch.

getting old sucks but it beats the alternative..... had I known i was gonna live so long, i woulda taken better care of myself. (im only 47, but it aint the years its the "milage". bad genetics & 20 + years accumulation of injuries plus 3 horrible surgeries for aortic aneurysm have left their marks..... by the way, i answer to the nickname "Lucky"
rolleyes.gif

I use 20ga exclusively. Magnum flinch from a 12ga turkey gun made me toss the 12ga and change to a 20ga. I spent a long time at the range to get back to the point where I could shoot without flinching.

I have never been holding a 20ga and wished I had a 12. #3 buckshot from Remington with an extended IM or turkey choke kills em dead.

IMO people are way to quick to be overgunned and way to Macho to admit it. Every person I have shared the duck blind with that tried my Browning Silver 20ga either traded in their 12ga for a 20ga or when and bought one outright.

Ducks, turkeys, deer, coyotes, fox, geese, all have fallen to the 20ga. They've never laughed and said I was undergunned.

You know, if I'd found a 12 gauge Mossy 500 for just $174, then I would have been all over it................

That said, I really don't think a 3" 20 ga load of #4 Buck is undergunned at all!

Especially at CLOSE range!
thumbup.gif

But I appreciate the commments.

Old No7

You don't have to use heavy loads in your 12ga. I use 1 1/4 oz of NP BB's in my 12's and they work just fine.

I own a number of 20ga and they are usually much lighter than their 12ga counter parts and seem to me to hurt my shoulder just as much with heavy 20ga loads as it does with 12's.

I did just a Sav.24V in 223/20ga and 3" Hevi-Shot 2's while effective were very heavy in the recoil department.

I remember when I was patterning My old Mossy, My shoulder started taking a beating. So the next day I stole the Slip on Limb Saver Pad from My 7 Mag, and it made things a whole lot better.

Back