CHoW Call

Wile E Coyotie

Took the time to get out and freeze - mid week- but never got moving till just about 1:00 pm -Thurdsay
1st set - pulled in and stashed the Tacoma -in a small three row- - have used this place in the past and with success so - was happy to see coyote tracks soon after -i stepped out-
Temps are cold minus 20C - no wind -which is rare in Sask--I put the Box out there about 45 yards to my right -
- i do not go with the Chow Call very often -
and so with the cold snap in i figured they must b hungry-and set up with Lighting Jack - Full Throttle !!-Prairie Blaster-
- the sun is out high in the sky - its about as warm as its going to get for the day I can see the land before me 6-700 yards falling to the south- there are no trees in sight except where the Tacoma is hiding

- I can see almost 360 degrees of the compass and-calling about 300 of it my turf--
-still i figure i can see real good and nothing will sneak in on me- there is no cover – taller than 1.5 feet bush- with 6 inches of snow- - but—now b careful-
Chow call plays only 4 mins - -and inside 100 yards I have 2 plowing their way towards me--in the 6 inches of fresh snow--
-I am really caught off guard and with all the layers on and goggles on -- i have a hard time centring -on the lead dog who is real big and standing now looking at me -on 10 X
With a good hold - i let fly the 55 gr - and a it lands- with a big thump- - but he spins and starts to exit -
I chamber and pull for his buddy who- is trotting away -in no big hurry -at all-

- being concerned about the 1st -i can see he is stumbling and sick -#1025 Alpha Male- white white sable white --
so i go for it on the 2nd one trying to get him to stop- barking at him i can see he is interested - but he does not stop until about 375 yards - -I gave him my best - and come up short- into the frozen prairie

-2nd set - temps are warming up a bit- minus 15C -slight west breeze -
-
over the past 2 yrs I have seen a big blackie at this location never able to get a shot at him --
I go with the chow call - and almost instantly -i see large dark yote - come up on the horizon -running towards me -up wind-- I am thinking its a no brainer and -and I am really surprised to see 3 others in tow-
all of them disappeared into a low spot and I repositioned to get better angle - by spinning my seat bit - and wait ---and wait - -next time i seen them all of them were going away - they seen something they did not like - and no shot offered --my only though-- I know maybe my truck was exposed to them and they do not like the sight of it -??

3set -- -i stop at the ranch and make sure its all good to go in and rancher tells me they have not seen a lot of coyotes but the dog has been barking a lot at nights ---I head into the area and pull the Tacoma down into the dugout onto the ice -removing it from view - its real flat here and u have to b creative to hide ur rig
slight west breeze- minus 17C-- Chow Call plays for about 3 mins - and I can see one bouncing on the horizon -500 yards out - soon there are 4 in a line coming - across the stubble field -
In the back is a large dark one looking like a German Shepard --- out front is young one - who continues to advancebouncing up and down in the 8 inch stubble-
I notice the others are concentrating on a single coyote approaching from the south on a different tangent--
- I really wanted to take the big blackie--
but his plan was to attack the incoming single from a different clan invading his territory --
I have the young one now out front making a single pass on the box at 30 yards and have to make a decision to shoot -as he is going for exit-so I send one up his back side centring on the base of his tail -# 1026 sub adult male- red sable straw sable--

out front i can see 3 in retreat- but watch at over 1/2 mile as the big blackie takes the time to put the hurt on a single - from different clan - tearing large bits of hair out of him after running him down- standing over him for at least 45 seconds unleashing fury - a whopping for sure –

I figure I have time for one more set before dark- and head up the Rd 2miles north -
Rancher said have -atter!! - -go for it – and I found myself settled into a real nice overlook—-
Today I have had - good luck with the Chow Call- so I follow suit and – and bring the PB up to about mid range – Minus 19C- almost sun down—broken culivated field rimmed by pure Prairie – I can see for 2miles the open ground—
And at about 3 mins into it over the hill top first a Mule Doe- running full bore at me 400 yrds-–
She ran right up the box and stood there – I dare move –Next over the hill is inbound yote- full steam on the same line –may b 400 yrds -

- so I got lots of time and position on him - he is into 200 yards real fast and about 160 yards I shut the box off—
And bark at him – standing broad side – I blow one over top of him-
And another as he exited – his lucky day for sure -
all i got to say Is I will keep on trying !
Wile E

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

Brrrr.....
You've gotta think in that Icebox that you are doing them a favor putting them out of their misery. Enjoyed the read Wile E.

Gives a new definition to the words wide open country. Great looking coyotes.
Would you northeners enjoy a mild winter or would you feel cheated?

Great Job! I need your kind of gear for that weather. I sat out this morning in 12 degrees, and after 30 Mins I headed back to the truck! Great looking Coyotes.

Back