Sightmark photon series

zhelton

After trying to read and watch video clips of both the 4.6 and 6.5 its hard for me to tell so i wanted to ask here.
For you guys that have them is there any difference other than magnification in the two? Do you think the 6.5 has a better image than the 4.6?

Definately i forgot to mention that. Seems like most of my shots are on 6 power or lower just didnt know about the focusing or kmage clarity between the two. Tha ks and keep em coming

Zhelton,

I previously owned the older model 4.6x scope that did not have the center piece to punch out of the lens cap. The view was grainy and fuzzy. I never could get it focused properly. Later the company fixed the problem by adding the punch-out piece which better controls the amount of light entering the scope. I feel certain the newer 4.6x scopes are better now.

Last spring I purchased the 6.5x model and I like it. The focus is better and to my aging eyes, I can see better. I am one of those guys who tend to like a little more magnification. True, you lose some field of view.

One thing to remember with either scope is that too much IR light will white out your target. The Photons are very light-sensitive. If the main beam is not directly centered on the target then you should be able to see very well. If the illumination is centered and it's too bright, you may have to get an adjustable mount that will allow you to adjust the main beam off to the side or lower or something.

6mm06
Thank you for the information. I have read i think most of your posts and videos. If i end up going this route i plan on an aftermarket ir device that is adjustable for intensity and like you say may have to have adjustable mount as well

According to the specs, FOV of the 4.6 is about 24.6 feet at 110 yds. and for the 6.5 it is about 19.6 feet. So, you're giving up about 5 feet in width, and that may not be enough to make much difference at 100+ yds. In calling situations though animals are a lot harder to get on with more magnification when they get up close and are moving fast like coyotes do at times.

FOV was the main reason I went with the 4.6. Most my shots are 75-100 yds. My biggest challenge is seeing them, so a bigger FOV helps.

I agree even with my current setup i like a bigger field of view. What aftermarket ir lights are you guys liking with the photons? 850nm vs 940?

I have both. The 850 will give you more visibility at longer range. The 940 on my scope is good to at least 150 yds. for shooting and might stretch it a bit farther. It is of course more stealthy because the glow at the head is much less. I guess if shooting an AR you could mount both and use which ever one seemed to be needed at the time, but I liked to limit all the extra weight that I could so only mounted one at the time.

I bought a 6.5 this summer with another illuminator and started to play around with it this fall and decided I needed more light some nights. So I bought a Sniper Hawg light with the 66LRX head and dimmible tail cap. After reading about all the advise that these guys gave about punching out the cover I can see out to 400 yards some nights pretty good. I like the adjustable light because no two nights are the same. Some night you use alot of illumination and some night none at all. I'm shooting over bait piles so the FOV isn't a big deal to me because I pretty much know where to look for them.

You know pmack I honestly don't know as I don't remember looking out over any corn stubble with it, but my guess would be that it does the same on that as the 850. I'll try it though when I get chance and let you know for certain.

TD15, I believe the 6.5 would be ideal as a bait site scope. I have both heads for the Sniper Hawg myself, but the 66 is pretty much just gathering dust. The 50 gives plenty of punch.

Sounds like you definately need a dimmer or some way to adjust the ir light. Been looking at the hightechredneck 850 infinity for a photon. Would probably be a great setup to get started with nightvision. Thanks for all the great insight

My Coyote Reaper IR has the remote adjuster that goes between 0%-100%. Makes the view through my X-Sight II look phenomenal for what I have invested in the combo.

I have an infinity, and it is a very good light. Powerful, compact, focusable, and rheostat control from 0 to 100% power with excellent battery life. I should warn though that the great mount HTRN includes with the Infinity won't work on the rail mounted on the Photon. If you have an AR, you can probably mount it on the forearm okay. With a bolt action you will need something like this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scope-Tube-Flash...=item5680044213

Last edited:
Those of you that are using the 66LR/50LR lights with the photon do you tend to use the head adjusted to the spot or flood setting or somewhere in between?

I mostly use mine zoomed, and vary the intensity with the rheostat control, but I'm using it on a rifle for the bait site and not calling. If calling, I would probably use more flood.

I'm looking at similar choices and see that at HTRN the Armasight Vampire

Photon FOV = 4.3 degrees or 26 ft at 100 yards.
Vampire = 10 degrees or 48 feet at 100 yards.

Besides the fact that the Vampire weighs a lot more, has anybody with a Photon ever wished they'd payed the extra $ for a larger field of view?

Last edited:
Yes, the Photon's don't have a very wide FOV with their magnification. In calling, FOV is more important than mag in my opinion, but in baiting as some of these guys are doing mag is more important. Vampire should be excellent for calling outfit at 3x.

My hunting buddy has been using a Photon 4.6 very successfully coupled with his 19A thermal for scanning. He does an excellent job of going from the thermal to the Photon and picking up the target. Not so much for me, so I switched to the 50A for shooting. He is expecting a Photon 6.5 in on Thursday and we'll have to see if it helps him or hinders him.

Back