... getting it t0gether..

Infidel 762

Staff member
..I only see this world thru brown eyes. They are starting to show that every one of God's creatures, simply want to live. As a kid, I was brought up that certain animals should be killed on sight. Porcupines are on the "kill on sight" list. I saw this young one sunning himself low in a tree and went over to kill it.

Not sure if it was getting close enough for us to make eye contact or if it is me getting older, but I just did not have it in me. I could be losing it, but I felt a warm feeling and a sense of relief that I did not have to kill it. I guess I've never really thought about it, so much of my life has been spent just trying to get it all together;

So much of what I know is subject to revision, however I strongly believe that nature sees this world through many eyes. Some are pure black;

Some are gold that dilate after death;

Yep, I don't get that sense when it comes to coyotes. The relief I get is when they are on the ground dead;

While the days may seem like they are together, there are spaces in between. Between this and the last one, it happened fast; he got confused and thought the tree is what hit him, so he started biting it's branches;

I kept thinking about that porcupine in the spaces between the afternoon. Even as a large drop of the sun lingered on the horizon, I wondered if there will come a day that I see coyote and get that feeling. What will I replace this time with, if I turn all pacifist and what not? I'm just not sure.. I do know that i still got that warm fuzzy feeling after putting it all together on these;

Maybe I am seeing things for the first time, things that have always been there, yet so close one just looks right through them. So much of our perception is limited by only observing patterns that we can relate to ourselves. Like sunrises, we can expect them to be visually stunning with the ability to evoke memories of youthful bliss, but the morning light is more importantly a symbol of rebirth. That while reliving the past can be both a good and bad thing, what we set out to do today is the larger story of significance.

The spaces between getting it all together are imperative. If you take the spaces out of togetherness, you have something that is complete. Complete can lead to complacency, not to mention boredom...

crazy.gif
crazy.gif

/Predators/HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif[/img]

I use to hunt a lot with a couple of old timers, my dad and uncle. Dad lost the drive and has no interest in it anymore. My uncle took it to thhe grave with him. I can't explain why.
You'll find that the older you get and the more you get it together, the more you will forget where you left it. So there you will be left with a new challenge.

nice shootin' neighbor. Those porcupines are interesting critters. There's youtube videos of people who have them as pets..........just be sure and brush backwards, backwards, backwards lol.
One time one followed me very closely for about a quarter mile, for some reason I did not shoot it either.

Very well put Infidel 762, I think you have put into words what many of us feel as we ''mature'' in this predator hunting thing. Thanks for posting this and reminding us of why we do what we do. Take care, John.

Thank J-- I feel it!!
Porkies use to b on my "pick on list" --as well-- but - the only thing that picks on Porkie -is the coyotie and if -coyotie can survive on them -they too have purpose- -its like looking through a whole new different kaleidoscope --
regards Stewart

Good read!

I know the feeling of letting things live. Honestly, there are times, I feel sorry for the things I shoot. I shot a fox the other night, and as cute as he was, I began to wonder why I did it.

Im a softy when it comes to animals. Im actally an animal lover, having grown up with lots of animals, and as a kid, you give them names and they almost "become part of the family."

However, Im still a hunter and will always hunt. But now, I look much harder for reason or justification to kill something. If there is not reason, then often I let them walk.....except coyotes, that is. I always shoot them.

Good read Jeremy, I to give them a pass anymore although it has been a few years since I've seen one .The coyotes, not so much.

I too can relate, good read. The only problem is if the ranchers found out I passed on a porky pine they'd get a little upset. Too many times taking quills out of dogs.

I think many of us have a lot in common here. There were "things" on my list when I was younger that now I just admire. However, the "fire" in me that is the hunter has never burned more brightly. It's just a slightly more focused beam now. The more I get to go, the more I want to go. But now, "every thing" is no longer the prize. Godspeed to the ones still on the list though, for they will need it.

Nailed it, Jeremy!

While there is no greater joy than a beautiful sunrise and a day in the woods, other than coyotes, I shoot only what I eat.
Yet, there is always a moment of....call it regret, mourning or whatever, after the shot, even when the quarry is "just" a coyote. Quit hunting whitetails a number of years ago; am now content to just watch them and gave up bird hunting years ago.

Gotta admit that the longing is still there to pursue coyotes and plan to try to get a gemsbok after Christmas to restock the freezer.

Regards,
hm

Great reply Hm I only hunt Coyotes. I Don't eat them. I do like the fact however that in My little part of Nevada that the Quail and Cottontails prosper, the Cats and dogs of the neighborhood
as well as the chickens have a better survival rate too! I can buy meat.. sure it comes from the store but it feels better to me this way. Others may not like what I think? But who gives a dam? Coyotes are what I hunt, and the other animals I am sure are happy that I do.

The porcupine has been a fascination all my life, shooting them more with a camera than gun. I could tell many stories.
I'll leave most of them for the cougars to flip.

Yep, thanks for the kind words, definitely relate with you all

Originally Posted By: spiderman Nice.......sometimes I get the feeling that mercy shown will come back to me as mercy given......hopefully at my end. Jim
I like that. defnately

Originally Posted By: flintrockI use to hunt a lot with a couple of old timers, my dad and uncle. Dad lost the drive and has no interest in it anymore. My uncle took it to thhe grave with him. I can't explain why.
You'll find that the older you get and the more you get it together, the more you will forget where you left it. So there you will be left with a new challenge.
 like that with stuff I said.
Originally Posted By: jf1073nice shootin' neighbor. Those porcupines are interesting critters. There's youtube videos of people who have them as pets..........just be sure and brush backwards, backwards, backwards lol.
One time one followed me very closely for about a quarter mile, for some reason I did not shoot it either.
James, I am seeing them a lot more in our area. When I was a kid they where rare in our parts. The same with Armadilos

Originally Posted By: glockmeisterVery well put Infidel 762, I think you have put into words what many of us feel as we ''mature'' in this predator hunting thing. Thanks for posting this and reminding us of why we do what we do. Take care, John.
Thanks John

Originally Posted By: Wile E CoyotieThank J-- I feel it!!
Porkies use to b on my "pick on list" --as well-- but - the only thing that picks on Porkie -is the coyotie and if -coyotie can survive on them -they too have purpose- -its like looking through a whole new different kaleidoscope --
regards Stewart
Once I found a porky that was barely alive with its azz end eaten out. I figured the coyote that; “did not have all he wanted, but all he could stand”

Originally Posted By: crittr gittrGood read Jeremy, I to give them a pass anymore although it has been a few years since I've seen one .The coyotes, not so much.
Don’t think ill ever get there with coyotes Kent.

Then again, how can you top killing a wart Hog

Originally Posted By: 204 ARI too can relate, good read. The only problem is if the ranchers found out I passed on a porky pine they'd get a little upset. Too many times taking quills out of dogs.
I have shot coyotes with quills stuck in them
Originally Posted By: weekender I think many of us have a lot in common here. There were "things" on my list when I was younger that now I just admire. However, the "fire" in me that is the hunter has never burned more brightly. It's just a slightly more focused beam now. The more I get to go, the more I want to go. But now, "every thing" is no longer the prize. Godspeed to the ones still on the list though, for they will need it.
Godspeed
Have not seen you posting any of your wife’s kills lately. She is a killer
Originally Posted By: hm1996Nailed it, Jeremy!

While there is no greater joy than a beautiful sunrise and a day in the woods, other than coyotes, I shoot only what I eat.
Yet, there is always a moment of....call it regret, mourning or whatever, after the shot, even when the quarry is "just" a coyote. Quit hunting whitetails a number of years ago; am now content to just watch them and gave up bird hunting years ago.

Gotta admit that the longing is still there to pursue coyotes and plan to try to get a gemsbok after Christmas to restock the freezer.

Regards,
hm
You eat your coyotes? I know what you mean… you must have a big freezer Clarence
Originally Posted By: tripod3The porcupine has been a fascination all my life, shooting them more with a camera than gun. I could tell many stories.
I'll leave most of them for the cougars to flip.
You have a good eye with your camera. Always enjoy your summer YOY pics

Quote: other than coyotes, I shoot only what I eat.

Guess I need to clarify. I shoot only what I eat, with the exception of coyotes, which I shoot because they need shooting.
smile.gif

Yea, Jeremy, my freezer is large enough to hold the gemsbok. I did have to get a 2nd freezer when I shot the eland, though.
lol.gif

Regards,
hm

Really enjoyed this one. That space between is real. It's my living in the moment time. Where time is unable to move forward. It only happens when I'm surrounded by nature. We become immortal in the spaces between. Thanks again.

Back