Old 700 VSSF vs new VSSF

born2climb

A good friend of mine has a 700 VSSF in .223 that is a mid-90s model I think. He says it is easily the most accurate rifle he owns. I'm wanting one, but can't decide whether to go new, or seek out a good used older model. I know the stocks have changed considerably, but how about the action/barrel? Are the new ones as good as the older ones?

I can't speak to the VSSF specifically. However, I have a Remington Varmint ADL in .223 with a 26" 1/12 twist barrel and can attest that it is the most accurate .223 I have ever owned. It is not uncommon to have 5-shot groups that produce a ragged hole that's a little larger than a single .224 hole.

With that, I would say buy with confidence. Work up 25.0 gr of Benchmark with a 55 gr VMAX. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I have a 700 ADL synthetic in .223 that I bought new several years ago. It is amazingly accurate to be the "cheaper" line of Remmies. I have fired some ragged holes at 100 yards with it. If I think too lang and hard about it, I'll shelve the idea of the VSSF, because the ADL is so accurate. The heavier varmint barrel and the fact that it's stainless still have an appeal to me.

I've got a VSSF II in 22-250 I bought about 5 years ago. It shoots lights out and easily puts 3 shot groups in the same ragged hole at 100 yards with most loads.

I don't think Remington makes the VSSF anymore but you might be able to find a new one still on a shelf somewhere.

I bought the newer model VSF .223 3 years ago and LOVE it!! It's a 12 twist that shoots sub moa easily. The only thing I've done is drop a Timney in it. The stock feels weak but I've had no issue with it! The gun holds zero with my bi pod on or off without any adjustments after the switch. The load I run is in my signature and has been deadly accurate for me.

Good luck!

I can remember an alleged gunsmith's internet claim that the older VSSFs and the (discontinued) LVSFs had better fit and finish than the later stainless-action, lower end 700s; not sure if that's true. There may be a quality and accuracy issue with all newer Rem. rifles, but that debate's for another time.
Also, FWIW: Remington's parts/accessories site is currently offering VSSF stocks for $250. If these are indeed H-S Precision, that would be a bargain. I see Rem. must have made a recent run of .220 Swifts; am tempted to buy the similar VSF and swap the Tupperware stock with one of these. Then see if my "homemade" VSSF will shoot as well as a real one.

I have a vssf ll in 22-250 and it shoots well with my handloads. It's a nice rifle no complaints.

Have owned a pile of BDL's over the year's and a can't say I've ever had a bad shooter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: deathwind III can remember an alleged gunsmith's internet claim that the older VSSFs and the (discontinued) LVSFs had better fit and finish than the later stainless-action, lower end 700s; not sure if that's true. There may be a quality and accuracy issue with all newer Rem. rifles, but that debate's for another time.
Also, FWIW: Remington's parts/accessories site is currently offering VSSF stocks for $250. If these are indeed H-S Precision, that would be a bargain. I see Rem. must have made a recent run of .220 Swifts; am tempted to buy the similar VSF and swap the Tupperware stock with one of these. Then see if my "homemade" VSSF will shoot as well as a real one.

Do you have a link to that?

Originally Posted By: born2climbOriginally Posted By: deathwind III can remember an alleged gunsmith's internet claim that the older VSSFs and the (discontinued) LVSFs had better fit and finish than the later stainless-action, lower end 700s; not sure if that's true. There may be a quality and accuracy issue with all newer Rem. rifles, but that debate's for another time.

Do you have a link to that?

https://www.remington.com/shop/700-VS-SF-S-A-Stock-Assembly%2C-Black-Green/p/F249062

I lusted for the older 700 VSSF when looking for a .22-250 for groundhog hunting about 6 years ago. While looking for a VSSF someone on here posted that Cabelas had a sale on a 700 VS SPS stainless which was a special run for Cabelas.

I managed to pick up the SPS for $430, and opted for that instead. The SPS out of the box was not that accurate, groups were about 1" at 100 yards, I regretted the decision of not ordering the VSSF as the SPS did not shoot as well as my friend's VSSF. The Xmark trigger could not be adjusted to under 5 lbs so I quickly ordered a Timney and groups dropped to about 3/4". Next came the stock which I replaced with a B&C medalist. Changing 2 items groups dropped to just about 1/4" and the rifle then shot as well as my friend's VSSF. So for about $800 total I had a decent shooting varmint rig. Only thing missing on mine was a fluted barrel. My opinion is the VSSF has better fit from the factory.

Looking back I still wish I'd just gone with the VSSF but in the end I had a rifle that was accurate and did everything I needed. If I ever see a VSSF for sale at a good price I'll probably pick it up.

Last edited:
I have a 220 Swift VS SF and a 22/250 VS SF II and both shoot great.

I understand they no longer build the VS SF anymore but they still offer a Sendero which appears to be the same rifle but it is only offered in a few larger calibers.

I have an older vssf in 223 from when they first came out. it is one of my most accurate factory rifles. only thing done to it was some trigger work. know nothing about the newer ones. were me, I would look for an older model.
Barry

Originally Posted By: panhedI have an older vssf in 223 from when they first came out. it is one of my most accurate factory rifles. only thing done to it was some trigger work. know nothing about the newer ones. were me, I would look for an older model.
Barry

I bought my dad one of the VSSF 1's in 223 a few years ago. I was the third owner of it and like mentioned above, only thing we've done to it is tune the trigger and it shoots extremely well all the time.

For me, the only reason I wouldn't want one of the VSSF II's is I don't like the double palm swell stock they have, other than that they should pretty much be the same gun.

The vssf ll had a different fluting contour and I want to say without looking is also when they started using the x mark trigger. It also had a heavier stock.

the only difference between the Sendero and the VSSF II is the Sendero is a Long action.

Differences between VSSF II and Varmint SF? HS Precision Stock vs. Plastic, Barrel flutes are not black in Varmint SF.

I have the original VSSF in 220 Swift and it is highly accurate. When I worked up the load I am shooting now, when all finished up and dialed it, it put 10 rounds at 100 yards in a 1/2 inch group.
They are, at least mine is, highly accurate. I like the stock on the original VSSF a lot better than the second generation.

Originally Posted By: WyoBullI like the stock on the original VSSF a lot better than the second generation.

The original stocks they put on the VSSF's and Sendero's are one of my favorite hunting rifle stocks I've used. I have them on quite a few semi custom builds. If I recall the II's had a stock like the PSS models with the double palm swells and also had the wider more squared off forend. The stock on my Remington LTR has a wider forend, not like the VSSF II's, but doesn't have the double palm swells and I like how it feels also. It's kind of funny, it seems to be about 50/50, half like the older version better and the other half likes the newer II's better.

Back