24" Anderson 223 Wylde 1-8 twist barrel accuracy?

I literally just assembled an upper for one of dad's friends with that exact barrel. Its been test-fired for function, but it hasn't been shot for accuracy just yet. Not sure when that might happen, on account of this cold snap we're having, but I will report back as soon as I hear anything of value.

Well, apparently, dad and his friend went ahead and braved the cold and ice yesterday afternoon, in order to start getting the rifle sighted in. Initial sight-in was done with Remington UMC 55 grain FMJ's. They didn't really go for maximum accuracy - the plan was to get it on paper at 100 yards, so they could start working up some test loads for it. Anyway, 3-shot groups were all under 1". Both said they were pretty impressed with it, considering high temp was around 10*, and the picnic table we use as a shooting bench was covered in ice. General consensus was that groups would likely have been a lot better, if shooting conditions were better. I will press for more details, when I have a chance to talk to them about it in more detail. To be honest, hearing this report, I'm seriously tempted to order one of those barrels as well. Price is very good, and I believe they have some holiday discount codes that could be used to save even more on them.

I'll have my upper with that barrel by early next week and will see myself what it will do but I thought we might have a few guys do some builds with that barrel that could give me some feedback. Thanks for the response cjclemens.

No problem. I'd definitely like to hear how yours works for you. I was pretty happy to hear how well the one I built was performing.

There's always that crowd that thinks you can't get a decent barrel for a bargain. I'll admit - I had my doubts, too. However, it's always a pleasant surprise to find out that quality doesn't always have to cost an arm and a leg.

Ok I have a question. I will soon to be an "Evil" Rifle user. Since I have decided on buying one I have also done some research into reloading and such. I called Excalibur Barrels today and asked them a question. Prior to that I have read a lot about reloading for an AR. Now here is the question. Since the COL is so short on an AR "I'm used to Bolt Guns" I looked further into reloading for an AR here on PM. Since the COL is so short,and I read posts about playing with COL. Can you rebarrel an AR with less free Bore in order to achieve better accuracy? The Mag limits the length. But can the barrel make up for that by getting the Lands closer to the chamber? They do it with Bolt actions. What is the difference? This will be My first AR so don't take this post the wrong way. I am just curious? I will no doubt have to find Me a mentor here to school Me in Ar's.

I have that barrel on my latest ar but did not shoot it yet, I must say she is heavy but sweet looking, I need a sling stud with the plate and nut ( anybody have a idea on that) probably wont shoot her till spring..

Originally Posted By: luder..I need a sling stud with the plate and nut ( anybody have a idea on that) ..
I got lazy and just use a loose loop on the barrel and a QD snap-in on the stock.
This is on my 300 BLK calling AR and goes out yoting more than any other in the safe.
Its loose enough to easily take off in the stand, but grips enough to carry around on the shoulder.
If it tends to come off when you don't want it to, then tighten the loop as needed ..fwiw..
164718507.UgHxIgx6.DSC02783sml.JPG

164718508.e8yXWmGp.DSC02785sml.JPG

164718509.rNLrjcUg.DSC02786sml.JPG

Originally Posted By: Orneryolfart357Ok I have a question. I will soon to be an "Evil" Rifle user. Since I have decided on buying one I have also done some research into reloading and such. I called Excalibur Barrels today and asked them a question. Prior to that I have read a lot about reloading for an AR. Now here is the question. Since the COL is so short on an AR "I'm used to Bolt Guns" I looked further into reloading for an AR here on PM. Since the COL is so short,and I read posts about playing with COL. Can you rebarrel an AR with less free Bore in order to achieve better accuracy? The Mag limits the length. But can the barrel make up for that by getting the Lands closer to the chamber? They do it with Bolt actions. What is the difference? This will be My first AR so don't take this post the wrong way. I am just curious? I will no doubt have to find Me a mentor here to school Me in Ar's.

Generally the max COAL given in reloading books will place you well under mag-length. If you experiment some, you'll find you can load them a little longer than listed. Also, most aluminum mags will give you a little more room than their polymer counterparts.

I don't have enough gunsmithing experience to tell you whether or not you can play with free bore - that's usually set when a barrel maker installs the barrel extension. However, if you're looking to build a precision rifle and you do your own reloading, you would be better served by a barrel that is chambered for .223 Remington. A .223 Remington will give you a shorter free bore and a much shorter leade than a 5.56 chamber will. Therefore, it will be much easier to get that bullet ogive closer to the lands. Even still, if you reload, you can get excellent results with Wylde or 5.56 chambers - it just might take a little more effort.

I ordered one in a 20"heavy barrel and was not impressed with it. It is not the same barrel as you ordered but in all fairness I haven't tried many loads. The loads I tried shot good out of a bolt gun not the ar. Have a 300 blk barrel that shoots pretty good from Anderson. I just ordered a 20" SS Match from Wilson Combat for my Christmas present. All in all I have had good luck with the Anderson products. Let us know how yours shoots.

CJ, not an expert or novice for that matter. Isn't that is what the Wylde chamber is for. The barrel I just ordered is a Wylde Chamber. Hope I ordered the right chamber.. I do reload also..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: luderI have that barrel on my latest ar but did not shoot it yet, I must say she is heavy but sweet looking, I need a sling stud with the plate and nut ( anybody have a idea on that) probably wont shoot her till spring..

Hey there, Midway has what you might be looking for part#
411-179 by JP Enterprises.

I got lazy and just use a loose loop on the barrel and a QD snap-in on the stock.
This is on my 300 BLK calling AR and goes out yoting more than any other in the safe.
Its loose enough to easily take off in the stand, but grips enough to carry around on the shoulder.
If it tends to come off when you don't want it to, then tighten the loop as needed ..fwiw..
Wanting it for a bipod-heavy sucker.....

Originally Posted By: yotekiller47CJ, not an expert or novice for that matter. Isn't that is what the Wylde chamber is for. The barrel I just ordered is a Wylde Chamber. Hope I ordered the right chamber.. I do reload also..

The Wylde chamber is a hybrid. It has the free bore of a .223 Remington and the leade of a 5.56 chamber. It supposed to be more accurate than the 5.56, but still safe to use with 5.56 ammo.

In theory, a .223 Remington chamber should be inherently more accurate, since its possible to get the bullet a lot closer to the lands. However, a competent reloader should be able to get acceptable results from a .223, Wylde or 5.56 chamber.

Originally Posted By: cjclemensOriginally Posted By: yotekiller47CJ, not an expert or novice for that matter. Isn't that is what the Wylde chamber is for. The barrel I just ordered is a Wylde Chamber. Hope I ordered the right chamber.. I do reload also..

The Wylde chamber is a hybrid. It has the free bore of a .223 Remington and the leade of a 5.56 chamber. It supposed to be more accurate than the 5.56, but still safe to use with 5.56 ammo.

In theory, a .223 Remington chamber should be inherently more accurate, since its possible to get the bullet a lot closer to the lands. However, a competent reloader should be able to get acceptable results from a .223, Wylde or 5.56 chamber.

Thanks for that info cj.

Well, I just got a range report from dad's friend. I didn't get any specific load data but here are the results of a few combinations he used in the rifle I built for him. Group sizes are at 100 yards.

4895/55 grain Varmageddon ~ 5/8"
3031/53 grain VMax ~ 1"
335/53 grain VMax ~ 1 1/4"
Varget/55 grain Varmageddon ~ 1/2"
10x/53 grain VMax ~ 5/8"
CFE223/53 grain Vmax ~ all over the place.

He told me he felt like the Varget and 10x showed the most promise and those are the powders he'll be focusing on for the next trip to the range.

Obviously sample size is only 1, and initial accuracy says nothing about long-term durability. That said, I can say that I personally know of one customer who's happy with this barrel.

Those barrels have been out of stock for a while, so I went ahead and called Anderson. They told me they should have them back in stock within a couple weeks. I plan on ordering one for myself as soon as they come in. Hopefully I will have similar results.

Back