JOHNNY STEWART GS2 GRIM SPEAKER ELECTRONIC PREDATOR CALLER

OK so used the caller on a ranch South of San Angelo, Texas this past week and can give a field report now. Sound quality is very good. Probably made 20 or so fox stands and called in foxes on all but three of those stands. Grey Fox Pup was the the ticket and I called foxes in both at night and during the day. I also had two different groups of coyotes sound off one night when I was playing Grey Fox Pup.

First coyote stand I started out with the Coyote Locator sound at just about first light and had two different groups sound off. Started playing Jackrabbit Distress and about 5 minutes in I hear the rancher, who is set up behind me and facing the opposite direction, shoot. I then started with some Coyote Pup Distress and let that play for about 5 minutes before calling the stand. Get up and walk over to the rancher and he tells me he hit one hard, but it ran off down into a draw. ( We didn't find that coyote until the next day.) I then walked over to get the caller and while I'm retrieving it the rancher motions for me to get down and fire it up again. He had spotted another coyote coming in. I let the Coyote Pup Distress play again for about 7 minutes but nothing showed. Next stand started off with the Coyote Locator again, but no response. Go to Jackrabbit Distress and a coon came right up to the caller then moseys off. Try Coyote Pup Distress for a bit but no takers. Finally, about a half hour into the stand I try Coyote and Raccoon and within about a minute I have two hard charges coming in on the mesquite flat. At a little over a hundred yards out I lose sight of them behind some cedars for a bit and them pick them up again on their way out. Woofed them to a stop and proceeded to miss. Didn't get a second shot. Dang! Caller did it's job----I didn't.

I didn't try the remote out past fifty yards but it worked fine at that distance. Battery life was good. Changed out the batteries after about 2 and a half days just as a precaution. On the subject of batteries I do have one caution. You need a screwdriver to remove the battery hatch on the caller and the remote. I would recommend just leaving that screw loose and using some thin strips of gorilla tape as a hinge so as not to have to worry about carrying a screw driver around on stand. If you forget your screw driver or strip the screw (happened to me) you are SOL. If I get some time I will post pictures of the GS 2 next to a Foxpro Inferno for a size comparison.

Overall I am very happy with the GS 2. If I had to go with only one caller it would be a Foxpro, but the GS 2 makes for a nice, inexpensive addition to the calling arsenal.

I bought the GS2 and absolutely love it. Great sound and good volume. I've called in coyotes on every trip so far with it. The Johnny Stewart sounds are very good.

Many moons ago the first ecaller that I and my brother used was the original Johnny Stewart Prey Master. Lots of good memories! Out of nostalgia I ordered the Grim Speaker from APC. I chose 15 sounds and have done 3 stands with it. I called in a double this morning with one of my favorite rabbit sounds that we had on the old Prey Master. It was plenty cold this morning. With the windchill putting the temp below zero the Grim Speaker performed perfectly. Better than me, I went one for two on the pair.

I have had three different Fox Pro callers and still have the Wildfire II and am a big Fox Pro fan. As far as fit and finish the Foxpro is a lot better. (and some more jingle) But I am going to keep both. About this time of year I hang up the rabbit calls and go strictly with Coyote Vocals. I think that Fox Pro's Coyote library is more numerous than Johnny Stewart. But for the price you cant go wrong with the Grim Speaker. It is louder than my Wildfire. Just a bit bulky and does not seem as durable. I will use the Johnny Stewart for prey sounds and the Fox Pro for coyote vocalizations.

Back