.243 AR-10's

ncyotecaller

Is it me or does it seem like .243 AR-10's are becoming tough to find? Been thinking about one but seems like either they faded away or are so popular they are hard to find. Never owned an AR-10 but seem like they would make a perfect coyote slayer!

Build one or buy the parts and have someone build it for you. Unless someone is happy with a factory setup and doesn't plan on upgrading parts, I see no reason for buying a complete rifle. Pick the parts you want, wait for sales, and you will be much happier in the end.

There are a few R-25's on gunbroker in 243 right now if you don't want to build. I'm sure some google searches could find them elsewhere. They still exist.

I ordered a R 25 GII in 243 two years ago still waiting. I had a DPMS 243 lite with a 18" barrel it shot great but the muzzle break was so loud I sold it. Heavy too.
MB

Called DPMS a few weeks back and they said they will not be building any until the 308 demand slows down. Makes another reason I despise the 308 haha

So never then, lol. I don't see the 308 demand waning soon! While it's not a DPMS I love my 308 ar. Weighs less then 8 pounds before optics and has practically no recoil.

Actually I could see demand dropping like a rock, in fact I bet it has already since the election. I predict we will see a buyers' market on all firearms related stuff pretty soon.

DPMS doesn't seem like they have the presence/market share they had 5 years ago. But that could be my imagination. Hopefully they continue the innovation they had 10 years ago. Bring back the 300 Saum, and other high performance calibers.

Originally Posted By: 204 ARActually I could see demand dropping like a rock, in fact I bet it has already since the election. I predict we will see a buyers' market on all firearms related stuff pretty soon.

DPMS doesn't seem like they have the presence/market share they had 5 years ago. But that could be my imagination. Hopefully they continue the innovation they had 10 years ago. Bring back the 300 Saum, and other high performance calibers.

Sure hope so 204 AR. I'll be watching for parts sales after the first of the year.

I agree that it's a buyers market. I'm trying to resist a 260 or a different 6.5mm ar. I think that would be really fun. But then I'd have to stock a new caliber of bullets so I'm resisting for now.

Originally Posted By: yotehunter243Called DPMS a few weeks back and they said they will not be building any until the 308 demand slows down. Makes another reason I despise the 308 haha

this is because of the freedom group. this gun has been out for what like 3 years now. the guns have never been easy to find in stores. a company that size of the freedom group aught to be able to just make more and keep the parts coming.

I have a ar10 that was made by accuracy systems. Whike it has killed its fair share of coyotes and deer it doesnt see much use anymore due to its weight. Neat guns if it was only lighter

Found an ArmaLite in .243 a few years back thought it would be a great predator rifle but as mentioned it is heavy to haul around. Impulse buy I wish I would've thought twice about.

Funny how the Dtech WSSM's were all the craze back then (I had one in 25 wssm) and now they are pretty much reloading only and hope your brass lasts. The standard .243 will be around probably till the end of time!

Got a buddy who's running the 87 V-Max out of his old Armalite AR-10/24" Wilson heavy barrel, and has killed very efficiently to 785 yds. with this combination, with mostly 1st shots. He's onto the 95 gr. TMK now, and we'll soon see what that combination does. Best long-range setup I've ever seen.

Originally Posted By: sscoyote.. He's onto the 95 gr. TMK now, and we'll soon see what that combination does..
Please keep us updated on the 6mm TMKs.
I've hit paper with them but no fur yet.

Hi,
I'm new to Forums so i hope I am doing this right. I have an AR-10 in .243 that I built using Aero Precision parts for the upper and lower and a Wilson Combat 16"barrel. The twist rate is 1:10. I had in mind that I wanted to shoot groundhogs using 58gr. Hornady V-Max bullets and reaching out to 400 yards. I tried 3 different powders( Varget,IMR 4064 and RL15)and numerous weights. The best i could get it to shoot was an 1 1/2" group at 100 yards. Is my problem a stability issue because of the short barrel?

Welcome, you may find more input if you start a new thread, especially if the a search does not turn up any helpful information. Off hand I would say your 10 twist is adequate. Some barrels will not shoot the bullet we want, you may have to find a bullet your barrel likes. It's only money,right. Berger has a twist calculator that can be useful.

Last edited:
Back