Bang-Pop and MASTERBLASTER'S trip out west

MasterBlaster

We took our yearly trip to South Dakota and Nebraska Thanksgiving day. We left Iowa at 03:00 on Thursday got to South Dakota in time to unload our stuff and go make an evening call. We set up on a fence line looking north. This place has treated very well in the past and today was no different. Side note Bang Pop has gone suppressed and felt he needed to warn the coyotes that he had done so, he put a sticker on his scope. Not sure it didn't jinks him.
image_zpsftxqebhm.jpeg

Here we set ready to call and about 10 mins in I see come over the hill from the east on my side he dropped in a low spot and crossed in front of us came up on the west side and Bang-Pop put him down at 140 yds. He built a 22-250 with a 18" barrel shooting 52 gr match HP bullets HERO SHOT his first suppressed coyote!
image_zpsp9lelxmo.jpeg

We took it back to the house skinned it,supper,bed.

Next morning the 25th I got up early and went out to the stack yard south of the house to call it's only 200yds from the house but has counted for coyotes in the past. I got there still dark and waited with my AR over a bale I was just about ready to call and 3 coyotes came over the hill I had one at 140 yds broad side held on the chest BANG he spins I look for another one but they all took off,the one I shot went over the hill I walk back to the house to get the truck and go get him. I clear my AR before I go inside but it's jammed up. The case separated and was stuck between the the bolt carrier key and the charging handle. ANYWAY we go look and it's no were to be found. Went back where I shot it and found hair. Bad hit lost it.
We made some more calls but no joy the last call of the day we got one in at 250yds clean miss,home for supper.

The 26th
We went back the the fence line we hunted the first day. I set in the same place and Bang-Pop went down wind about 100yds. Stated the call and about 12 mins in I see a pair close to the spot where the first one we killed came from 325yds I messed with them tring to get them closer. One broke down and came closer I ranged her 275yds moved the sticks shot her though the heart I could see the blood on impact.
image_zpswc6bk6yr.jpeg

We moved about 40 miles north.Set up by a stack yard I set down with my back to the bales and Bang-Pop watched west about 7 mins one came out of the hills and stopped a 170Yds I didn't hardly move my sticks from where I started at my 22-250 took him out.
image_zpsnbys8l2j.jpeg

We moved a 1/2 mile to another stack yard and called again, we had one skirt us just over 300 yds with a good cross wind and that one was a miss.
The 27th
Made a call over looking a creek bottom had 2 come but a 300yd shot was missed and down the road we go.
We set up where 3 draws come together I see one coming but too many trees for a shot she comes to the call I bark she acts like she didn't hear it, I move my sticks she stops in an open spot to look and I get her at maybe 50yds. Then I see another one in about the same place the first one came from but it backs off where I can't see it and barks I mess with it for a bit and Bang-Pop takes a shot at 300 yds and misses.
image_zpsxogpzt7w.jpeg

We went back to the first place we called in the morning and called 2 in and missed and came at it from a different angle set up and hand called. Had one come within 3 mins working down wind Bang-Pop had changed to his old faithful 22-250 It got in an opening and I barked it to a stop and Bang-Pop shot it at 160yds.
image_zpsrexduwlc.jpeg

We kept our host busy sewing.
image_zps4rrfyzra.jpeg

The 28th 29th and 30th were too windy to hunt so we went to Rapid City hit all the gun shops.Then moved to Nebraska in a white out but made it safely despite having a tire issue 10 miles from Martin.
Dec 1
Made a stand by a river called for 10 mins had one at 270 yds Bang-Pop hit it but watched it run for a 1/2 mile out of sight put the suppressed gun away.
We made a call with no takers but had some howl west of us so as they say move west and we did after a 10 min Tally Ho call we had one come in wide around us working down wind Bang-Pop took a 300yd shot at it before it winded us sounded like a hit but we didn't find it the grass was thigh high and looked for 1/2 hour. Moving on setup split up about 250yds I called after about 15 mins I had 2 come over a hill 60 yds from me and under the fence I killed one at about 35 ft and missed the other one as it left the area at a high rate of speed. Bang-Pop watched the pair come out of a tree belt 3/4 miles away and run almost all the way to me.
image_zpsablkj2n4.jpeg

We move on and called a few miles down river from the morning opener. We set with our backs to a bale 5 mins in we had one come from the river at 100 yds I barked and Bang-Pop put him to rest,this one had mange no picture of him.
Dec 2nd
We went to a big tree shelter belt set up and called about 8 mins in we had one come from behind us hard to Bang-Pop's right and stop at 110yds after moving his sticks and sitting in a hole all wrong for the shot we had a miss. One of those deals just off balance and awkward.
We made a couple more calls nothing as we were moving to our next spot as we walked over a ridge I saw one get up at 230yds stand there we got down grass was too high for my bi-pod so I tried my sticks in a bad position I shot right of it and missed. Next to the last call of the trip Bang-Pop called with the Tally Ho couldn't have been 2 mins one popped up over a ridge and Bang-Pop put him down.
So we ended up with 8 total should have had a bunch more but that's why we call it hunting. We had a great time hope to get after them again next year.
MasterBlaster.

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I always laugh when someone calls anything west of the big Mo, west. And Ohio is the mid west. LOL
Well my friend I is from the west, AZ. Now to the west of us is LaLa land more like the east. Anyway good story, enjoyed it.
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: DAALooks like a great time. AND a host that sews? You guys had it made!

- DAA Believe me we pay for it in spades. If there's hole in the hide we get a major A$$ chewing and may not get invited for supper. We have one stand that we call "Stitch Ditch" because just about every time we call it, something gets shot up and needs a few stitches.

Last edited:
We had a good trip over all. Had some truck trouble in a white out blizzard which was a little hairy. I sucked at shooting so bad that the local news paper could have done a column about it. It was shameful. That pair that about ran over the Blaster was the highlight of the trip for me. We've called that stand before and it's pretty reliable. This time we set up a little different than in the past. Last year I had one top out on a ridge at about 75 yards under a fence that I was able to get moved on and get him shot. This year I set up on that fence line so I could see the country better that the coyotes usually come from. The Blaster was probably close to 200 yards to my north and was doing the calling. 4 or 5 minutes into the stand I see a pair come out of a shelter belt probably 3/4 mile away and they are trotting straight at the call. As they get within 400 or 500 yards Blaster, who has no idea that they are on the way, changes to pup destress and they kick it into high gear and pass by me at about 150 yards and 150 MPH. I can see em go smoking over the top of the hill right into his lap and the fireworks commence. I think the one he shot was about 10 or 12 yards when the smoke cleared.
scared.gif
I went over there and he was jabbering something about getting attacked. I told him that's why we carry guns. Good shooting partner!! I promise I'll do better next time.

Last edited:
I think the one he shot was about 10 or 12 yards when the smoke cleared. I went over there and he was jabbering something about getting attacked. I told him that's why we carry guns.

Boy you let a pair come in to you partner and he gets all excited and starts to jabber! LOL

Back