22-250 Rem with Carbon Fiber barrel.

Originally Posted By: ksduckhntrAre those Hardy barrels? I saw the deal over on the hide, was wondering how they were.

Yes Sir they are! IMHO best quality carbon fiber barrels I've handled, and I own Proof and have shot a few Christensen Arms.

I have wondered for some time why steel barrels that are only wrapped with carbon fiber are referred to as carbon fiber barrels. Some folks get confused by the terminology.

To be honest to the company they state in the description steel Barrel carbon fiber wrapped in the website. But I understand what you mean rusty. It is kinda misleading.

Skinney- In your opinion what justifies paying the premium for the carbon wrapped barrels when steel barrels shoot the same style groups?

I dont find it misleading at all...Surely no one would think the entire barrel is CF?

As for why...weight and rigidity. You get the all the benefits of a bull barrel without the weight, while actually gaining a stiffer barrel than comparable diameter SS or CM. Couple this with reduced heat sensitivity and significantly lower harmonic vibration...there really isnt a downside other than cost.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogAt $1200-$1500 for a barrel, I'll just have to find something cheaper and spend a little more time at the gym.

Where did you get that price? I saw Hardy Carbon Wrapped blanks for $689.99.

Last edited:
Off their site. Match grade carbon wrapped. Your price sounds a whole lot better. Could the higher price be installed? I just clicked on the match grade barrels???????

Just looked again, carbon wrapped match grade barrels-$1250, installed $1550.
I just read a post on the hide and they were saying prices were around $690. Sounds better than the prices I saw.

Last edited:
Yes, group buy on the hide through Dallas rifle saves you $100 on a Hardy carbon wrapped barrel but even before the discount a carbon wrapped barrel was $789.

Originally Posted By: RustydustI have wondered for some time why steel barrels that are only wrapped with carbon fiber are referred to as carbon fiber barrels. Some folks get confused by the terminology.

Always been that way. Do you really think you can have an all carbon fiber barrel ?

Originally Posted By: liliysdadI dont find it misleading at all...Surely no one would think the entire barrel is CF?

Yessir. Had a coworker once with a CF wrapped barrel on his Ruger 10-22 that thought that the entire barrel was made of it. I doubt if he was the only one.

Originally Posted By: RustydustOriginally Posted By: liliysdadI dont find it misleading at all...Surely no one would think the entire barrel is CF?

Yessir. Had a coworker once with a CF wrapped barrel on his Ruger 10-22 that thought that the entire barrel was made of it. I doubt if he was the only one.

Lots of people out there that have no business being around guns.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: liliysdad

As for why...weight and rigidity. You get the all the benefits of a bull barrel without the weight, while actually gaining a stiffer barrel than comparable diameter SS or CM. Couple this with reduced heat sensitivity and significantly lower harmonic vibration...there really isnt a downside other than cost.

Back