How far?

Chesapeake

Pretty new to all of this, hunting mostly in big woods trying power lines, clear cuts, and swamp edges. My question is how far from the truck do you set up? I've watched a lot of different shows on tv and that's something they never really touch on. Currently I'm trying to park 1/8 to 1/4 mile away from my set up. It doesn't always work out that way, but I'd say that's average. I'm super quiet at the truck, no door slamming talking etc. Am I on the right track? Very low success rate so far.

Yes you are on the right track. Sometimes I only feel the need to walk a hundred yards or so. And sometimes I walk a quarter mile. Terrain dependant. You are doing the right thing there imho. I would start looking at the ground and there they should be held up

Five yards, or a half mile...or somewhere in between.

There are too many variables at play. When contest hunting, I try to park as close as reasonably possible to cut down on time spent. When hunting for fun, must less worried about it.

Firs tcoyote I called the car was parked about 30-40 yards behind me. It was on the back side of the pond I was setting up against. Granted this was around august so there are a lot of young dumb coyotes that are just now getting out on their own so that helped. It normally I start making sets around 100-200 yards away from where I parked. I don't know I feel it's a habit or just what the land here says I can do.

Walk far enough away that critters cannot see your vehicle from the calling stand. The direction I walk is determined by wind direction. I want my scent to drift toward the vehicle as I walk away from it. The distance I walk is generally 100-200 yards for the cover and terrain I hunt.

Back