MICHIGAN LEGAL USE OF CENTERFIRE RIFLES AT NIGHT!!

D33p6

last night it happend.......Michigan NRC passed the law to use Centerfire cartridges at night!!!! to some of you you will say big deal but it is new here in our state. It was Rimfire only because the NRC believed hunters couldnt poach deer with Rimfire. The only stipulation that i know of at the time of me writing this is the rifle can not fire a bullet larger then .269mm......SO,.204,.220,.221,.223,22-250,.243, 6MM, and grendal.this makes me happy! no more 17HMR back to the AR!!!

here is a facebook link to the page and video of last nights happenings

https://m.facebook.com/Michigan-Predator-Hunters-for-Centerfire-at-Night-221139201555170/

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NProell82Lucky you! In MN we can only use shotgun at night, I wish we could pass a law like this!

You can use a centerfire rifle here at night. You just can't use a light. I won't even Cary a flash light just to be safe. Centerfire rifle in the moonlight and snow can be very effective.

Last edited:
you and me both. lost a lot when you make a perfect shot with a 17hmr and they run forever! now my AR w/55gr .223 will get it done at night like it does during the day!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Neighbor_GuyOriginally Posted By: NProell82Lucky you! In MN we can only use shotgun at night, I wish we could pass a law like this!

You can use a centerfire rifle here at night. You just can't use a light. I won't even Cary a flash light just to be safe. Centerfire rifle in the moonlight and snow can be very effective.

Really!? Awesome to hear! I thought we could only use shotgun! The way the law is written is kind of weird. Thanks for the info! Would you ever be interested in letting a fellow Minnesotan tag along for some hunting?

Originally Posted By: Neighbor_GuyOriginally Posted By: NProell82Lucky you! In MN we can only use shotgun at night, I wish we could pass a law like this!

So are you saying you can use a rifle at night all year? But if you want to use a shotgun it just has to be after Jan 1 and with a light?

Correction/explanation, the new law allows up to .269 diameter cartridges statewide at night. BUT below the "shotgun line/limited rifle zone" only on private land.
Above this line it is NOT allowed in state parks or recreation areas. Everywhere else is fine.
I'm part of the group that has been working on this for about 14 months now.
It's a good start.

Last edited:
I'm always willing to try to connect with people. But I'm always time crunched and never know when I can hunt.

The MN law is written in a way to prevent the shining of deer during deer seasons. That's why it is only legal to use a light after deer season closes (December 31st sunset). But in the event you choose to hunt with a light you must follow the rules stated in the regulations book.

You can use a center fire rifle or a shotgun at night without a light. However, not during regular firearms deer seasons. During firearms deer season centerfire rifle use is restricted.

From the dnr when asked to clarify the night hunting rules:
"Good Afternoon
You are correct that nothing has changed.
Without a light a person can use the weapon of their choice(rifle or shotgun).
Jim "

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Neighbor_GuyI'm always willing to try to connect with people. But I'm always time crunched and never know when I can hunt.

The MN law is written in a way to prevent the shining of deer during deer seasons. That's why it is only legal to use a light after deer season closes (December 31st sunset). But in the event you choose to hunt with a light you must follow the rules stated in the regulations book.

You can use a center fire rifle or a shotgun at night without a light. However, not during regular firearms deer seasons. During firearms deer season centerfire rifle use is restricted.

From the dnr when asked to clarify the night hunting rules:
"Good Afternoon
You are correct that nothing has changed.
Without a light a person can use the weapon of their choice(rifle or shotgun).
Jim "

I don't deer hunt, but I would imagine muzzle loading season has now ended?

Back