Burris xtr ii vs vortex amg vs athlon Cronus

zr600

Looking at these three scopes what's every ones opinions on it? The Burris is 5-25-50. The Cronus is 4.5-29-56, the amg is 6-24-50.

Last edited:
I ordered the AMG in July and I'm still waiting for it. There is definitely a big difference between all those scopes. What is your intended use for this scope and what rifle are you putting it on?

Did you want First Focal Plane? (the AMG only comes in FFP, not sure about the others)

The others are all ffp too. It will be on my custom long range calling rifle it will be a 6mm of some type. Will use for calling, prairie dogs, target shooting.

ironically, my AMG arrived today. Won't be able to test it out for a couple weeks but I will be able to give you an idea after that. I plan on using mine for the exact same thing as you.

It's going on my 22-250 for the time being while I wait for my 6.5 to be built.

The AMG is in line with the Razor line. You are comparing Ferrarri's to Honda's. If you can afford the AMG do it! I had a Vortex Razor Gen II and LOVED it.

I'm pretty sure it can be had for less then the listed price on vortexs website. Now the athlon Cronus I have read some very good reviews were it was really close with a razor genii. I got to look at the Burris the turrets are great reticle is great but the glass is only probably right with a vortex pst maybe slightly better.

FWIW, my AMG showed up last Wednesday. I unfortunately don't have rings to mount it on my rifle with as of this moment so it's sitting on my coffee table. My first impressions are very good with this scope. Feels really solid but nowhere near as heavy as the Gen II razor. Illuminated reticle is awesome, only the reticle lights up red with no glow into surrounding area.

Turrets and clicks feel great. Haven't had a chance to get it outdoors yet so it's tough to give a true evaluation of the glass quality.

Originally Posted By: Clocked92FWIW, my AMG showed up last Wednesday. I unfortunately don't have rings to mount it on my rifle with as of this moment so it's sitting on my coffee table. My first impressions are very good with this scope. Feels really solid but nowhere near as heavy as the Gen II razor. Illuminated reticle is awesome, only the reticle lights up red with no glow into surrounding area.

Turrets and clicks feel great. Haven't had a chance to get it outdoors yet so it's tough to give a true evaluation of the glass quality.

Super interested in you thoughts on the AMG. I have a Gii Razor & REALLY like everything about it other than its weight (could live with a bit smaller scope too so the AMG is on the radar). I never thought I would ever say this after having 3 PST's with sub par glass... but the optical quality of my Gii is surprisingly great. Better than my S&B Klassic (
tongue_smilie.gif
did I just say that out loud?) .

Originally Posted By: coleridgeOriginally Posted By: Clocked92FWIW, my AMG showed up last Wednesday. I unfortunately don't have rings to mount it on my rifle with as of this moment so it's sitting on my coffee table. My first impressions are very good with this scope. Feels really solid but nowhere near as heavy as the Gen II razor. Illuminated reticle is awesome, only the reticle lights up red with no glow into surrounding area.

Super interested in you thoughts on the AMG. I have a Gii Razor & REALLY like everything about it other than its weight (could live with a bit smaller scope too so the AMG is on the radar). I never thought I would ever say this after having 3 PST's with sub par glass... but the optical quality of my Gii is surprisingly great. Better than my S&B Klassic (
tongue_smilie.gif
did I just say that out loud?) .

I will be sure to post a full review on here once I get it mounted and some time behind it in the field. In the meantime, let me know if there's any questions you've got about it.

I can only comment on the Burris as I own one. Great scope in every way for me. Not sure I'm a fan of the FFP for my purposes, at low magnification the IR is a must to be able to see it.

On a 6mm that magnification may be overkill. My Burris sits on a 300WM. Shooting prairie dogs, the full magnification was a hindrance until I got out to 600-700 yards or so. I was shooting a 243AI with a 4-16X scope and that was totally sufficient until 600-700 yards.

Back