Snow camo vs. ghillie suit

Matlock

I've been pondering buying some snow camo, but I'm not sure the amount of days I have snow on the ground justifies the expense. There seems to be lots of good comments and reviews about the King's Snow Shadow camo stuff as well as the Natural Gear snow camo. For those of you out there that have used it, is one of these options better than the other? The King's is definitely more costly, but doesn't seem to be as bright white. The Natural Gear has great reviews, the only complaint I've seen is that it runs pretty big.

How would you say buying a dedicated snow camo set compares to a snow camo style ghillie suit, such as Kill Suit? I've read and seen proof of how well ghillie suits are for disguising the hunter, but I've also read they can be a pain, especially if you are shooting an AR.

Please share your thoughts, thanks in advance.

If it's for coyotes just use an open pattern like predator or asat. It's about making your outline unrecognisable to their eyes, not matching the stuff around you to human eyes. Then you only need one set of camo for year round.

** You can actually do this without camo by breaking up your outline with natural features like bushes, trees, tall grass Infront of and behind you.

Last edited:
You could just get a regular style ghillie suit instead of the snow cammo. You end up just looking like a bush. I am cheap so i made my own snow ghillie jacket using an old net some shoegoo and a ripped up bedsheet.

Last edited:
Anything that will restrict your movement , interfere with the operation ,access to equipment ,affect your field of view or has lack of pockets may not be worth any benefit it offers. Keep simple. For calling a broken up parka or jacket that somewhat matches background is usually enough.

Originally Posted By: smokemAnything that will restrict your movement , interfere with the operation ,access to equipment ,affect your field of view or has lack of pockets may not be worth any benefit it offers. Keep simple. For calling a broken up parka or jacket that somewhat matches background is usually enough.

Yep, my biggest concern with a ghillie suit.

Natural Gear winter works good here, as does Cabelas Open Country winter.
I like both.

I called a bobcat in with lips squeaks to three steps away a few weeks ago. It was 431 lasered yards away when I first spotted it.
I was using the Cabelas top and bottom. It worked real well.

The cat was very surprised when I spoke, telling it that it was too close.

It got a pass. Bobcat wasn't on the list that day.

Last edited:
All winter I've been wearing nice thermal-like shirts my wife bought me for when we go out (obviously I no longer wear them, as they hang outside all winter long), and to top off the three shirts, a hoodie in Mossy Oak Break Up. Needless to say, I was in dire need of a winter jacket (my lower portion was cobbled together much the same) for camo purposes, and for warmth! The winter winds would cut right through everything and freeze me to the bone within an hour.

I just ordered Cabela's snow camo (woodlandz or whatever they call it) with thinsulate and stay dry (or whatever they call it) for $175 shipped to my door. It's a little steep, but in western PA it's a dream. It's warm, has real pockets, warm, quiet, blends nicely, and above all is really warm (did I say that?). Plus, it allows me to wear a couple less layers, and adds mobility when sitting.

Originally Posted By: viperI just cut a hole in a sheet and wear it like a poncho.
Not all sheets maintain white in the cold next to snow. If I remember correctly the nylon or polyester blend sheets turn blue/purple hue and stick out like neon.

We have done quite well wearing Nat gear snow camo that goes over our hunting clothes to keep warm.
The Cabela's stuff should be good quality.

I happen to have a lot of Kings stuff and really like it. As far as the snow camo, I have their light set and the heavy bibs/jacket. I do really love it, but it wasn't cheap. I'm glad I have it, but the decision to spend that much money is really a individual choice.

As was mentioned earlier, a white sheet used as a poncho over whatever warm camo you already have is more than adequate.

Kings Camo is good stuff, but expensive. I found snow camo coveralls and jackets at sams club and ended up buying two sets. If you do not want to spend a lot of cash, there is plain snow camo on Amazon that is really cheap and good. The pants are made to go over your regular insulated camo. Here are a couple of links to pants, gloves, parkas and gloves in snow camo.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B019G5HXB...pID=31TyjcxtWbL

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003W9FSE...white+snow+camo

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00NIE62N4/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06X6HDQG8?psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N5KK4J...&ref=plSrch

Good links, especially the camo wrap tape
thumbup1.gif

You can make what are called "over whites" with bedsheets. Troops in Europe frequently did so during ww2 with good results. Just wear them over your normal hunting garb.

You can make what are called "over whites" with bedsheets. Troops in Europe frequently did so during ww2 with good results. Just wear them over your normal hunting garb.

I just run the $9.00 snow camo poncho from midway usa. Here in oklahoma, we don't have enough time with snow on the ground to justify a full snow camo rig, but for $9.00, I can justify that.

Back