Best bullet for deer using a 22-250?

Originally Posted By: ScalloperShe may need to buy a box or two of factory ammo. Do and factory ammo companies offer any of these bullets loaded over the counter?

Thanks all. I will get some components ordered up.
If factory just get a box of Remington, Winchester or Federal 55 grain soft points and start killing.

If handloading in a 14 twist I would try either the Hornady 55 grain SP or Sierra Gameking 55 grain.

I have seen several truckloads of deer shot with the Sierra from 222, 223, 22-250 and the Swift, they cannot handle it when put in the lungs and are usually DRT. Also heard excellent things about the Hornady 55 SP.

Go over to24hourcampfire and look at Scenarshooters posts, guy has killed tons of game, somewhat large and small with the Hornady loaded in a Swift. Give it a look.

Nosler 64 gr Bonded Solid Base will shoot lights out with a 1:14" twist.It will easily penetrate the shoulder blades of a deer.

JD338

I've shot a lot of 60gr bullets from my 250 with a 1-14 twist. I just had to push them as fast as I could and never had a stability problem.If you shoot mild or mid range velocity they won't shoot for $hit.

For Deer, ok, 1 1/2" groups are great.

60g Nosler partition with a max load of IMR 4350, win primer.

60g Sierra does well in a 14T, same load as above.

60g V max will not stabilize in a 14T.

63g Sierra semi point will shoot very accurately in a 14 TWist, max load of IMR 4350.

I used a 52 grain Sierra hp this year and was pretty amazed when I processed the deer. Gigantic wound channel. Shot through the lungs and into opposing shoulder.found the base just under the skin on the far side with a quartering away shot. Took 3 dead steps and fell over.

Late reply but I shot two large bucks with a Striker pistol in 22-250 using the 55 gr. VMax. One was about 100 yds. and all of its lungs were mush. The other was 60 yds. and half of the lungs were mush. Both ran less than 50 yds.

Back