If you were me, 223, 1:9

PredatorNC

I came across a fella who was giving up his reloading hobby to pursue something else. My dad used to reload extensively during his trapping and calling days, and I will enlist his help getting started. I've studied manuals, watched videos, and read threads over and over again. In the lot of components I purchased, I acquired a 78 pieces of unfired 223 Lapua brass, an array of 22 cal bullets, FL and neck dies in 223..the whole shabam. Considering the afore mentioned find I went out and got myself a Savage Model 10 Predator Brush (1:9 twist) and topped it with a Vortex. I've prepped my brass and am prepared to begin developing some loads to test and learn with my new rifle. I'm not asking for exact recipes, but if you had the components pictured below and were looking to produce loads that would group well on paper and anchor coyotes, from your experience, which pairings would you try first. Thanks in advance for any input you have to offer.
lapua.jpg

powder.jpg

bullets.jpg

I have had my best luck with the Benchmark, in five different 223's, for all those but the 69gr. Had luck with the Varget on the heavies

55 Ballistic Tips and a healthy dose of Varget, should yield top velocities. Hodgdon had the data on their site. Doubt you can find a better coyote bullet.

Last edited:
My current go to for coyotes and cats is Benchmark and 50gr V-Maxs...Been told time and time again they arent effective killers on coyotes, but I havent lost one yet.

I have tried it all. Lol I have add and have always searched for the next best load. The Sierra 52/53 grain bullets and 25.8 grains of benchmark are just stupid accurate in my guns. Only shot a few coyotes with them but haven't had one twitch yet and no exits on 2 chest shots and one broadside high lung shot. Also killed a whitetail with them getting the same result. They will do as any other full power load will do to a fox. Can't say enough great things about the Sierra and benchmark

Originally Posted By: MoYoBomber55 Ballistic Tips and a healthy dose of Varget, should yield top velocities.

Something about 50 and 55 grain Ballistic Tips and Varget that my .223 rifles just seem to love. Benchmark is very good too but Varget is my number one choice.

I really appreciate all the feedback. You guys are a wealth of information. I have more 55 nbt's than anything else, so I believe I'm going to start there with both Varget and Benchmark and see how close I can get them to squeeze together, and then select another bullet and see how it compares thereafter.

Originally Posted By: Mark204Or the CFE223.

Here Kitty KItty
Definitely top velocity w 50 grains and lighter. Approaches 4k w a 50, 4300-4400 with 40s.

I've had good results with H335 and 50gr Ballistic tips out of my Remington VTR with 1-9" twist. Don't remember the exact powder charge off the top of my head unfortunately.

I have also run 4895 in the past.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MoYoBomberOriginally Posted By: Mark204Or the CFE223.

Here Kitty KItty
Definitely top velocity w 50 grains and lighter. Approaches 4k w a 50, 4300-4400 with 40s.

Although my primary concern is paper and predators, I want to have some fun and find any reason I can to rocket lead out of this thing. I have some 50's which of course I've read mixed reviews on for coyotes, although some attest they're sufficient, others have observed splash. As far as 40's and 50's go, slingin'em flat and fast far enough may be good medicine for all the crows that sit the fields in my area. How is my 1:9 Twist going to perform for bullets as light as 40gr though?

If 27.3grn Varget under a 50grn V-max doesn't shoot well, you have a problem.

50 BST's have been more difficult to find during some eras than the V-max, but they shoot incredibly well also. Benchmark is a great powder, and I'm learning to love CFE223, but my history with (and huge stockpile of) Varget has me reticent to change.

for $20 get a box of the Hornady 223 53 super stuff and test fire it.

It's worth the $20 to see.. I have a 9 twist in 16 and it loves them at less than .2moa for a factory ammo.

Originally Posted By: PredatorNCOriginally Posted By: MoYoBomberOriginally Posted By: Mark204Or the CFE223.

Here Kitty KItty

Although my primary concern is paper and predators, I want to have some fun and find any reason I can to rocket lead out of this thing. I have some 50's which of course I've read mixed reviews on for coyotes, although some attest they're sufficient, others have observed splash. As far as 40's and 50's go, slingin'em flat and fast far enough may be good medicine for all the crows that sit the fields in my area. How is my 1:9 Twist going to perform for bullets as light as 40gr though?

Some 1/9 twists will stabilize the 40s superbly while others not so much. It is just something you'll have to experiment with in order to find out for certain how the 40s will do in your rifle.

Back