The coyotes nose; A must read!!

That is the first post I have ever read where anybody said anything about a bobcat using its nose to avoid humans. May be true but it doesn't agree with what I have heard from experienced bobcat hunters.

There is no doubt that coyotes have a great ability to smell as it is important to their survival. The knowledge of this makes us prepared.
I often hear you can't beat a coyote nose implied as an absolute, like you might as well stay home!
Coyotes also get hungry, want to protect their territory, mate, and sometimes just get curious. This is when the nose may be temporarily overridden.

Here is one of many great examples, About 20 miles from the nearest town I was sitting partially in a sage bush waling away on a call. Something didn't feel quite right and I slowly started to turn, there to my right not 18 inches from my shoulder was a coyote, teeth bared and jaw open about 2 inches.
His ears and hunger had convinced him I was lunch no matter the nose warning.
Unable to shoot that close right, he got out 100 yds before I connected.

Several times, I have put the Yote Coyote decoy out, with the ecaller right under it, and coyote urine used. Downwind of that, 150 to 175 yards away, coyotes see old Yote, smell the coyote urine, and start giving him what for. My perch is at right angles to the decoy about 50 to 75 yards away, making it a reasonably easy shot to put one or two of them down for the count. That may not be an example of fooling their nose, but it sure got them to give their position away, and got them killed.

Originally Posted By: PanteraNo matter what you do or use, you'll never beat a coyotes nose.

VERY WRONG THINKING!!!

you need to educate yourself!

Originally Posted By: PanteraNo matter what you do or use, you'll never beat a coyotes nose. Dude...what the heck?....lol, don't we beat the yotes nose a lot?? I know what ackleyman uses, just as I do....

i have some stock in dead down wind spray on juice with the special secret sauce ingredient. please buy several bottles. it will make you feel good and make me some money. thank you.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnoti have some stock in dead down wind spray on juice with the special secret sauce ingredient. please buy several bottles. it will make you feel good and make me some money. thank you.

It is not a publicly traded company.

We use it because of results, seen and verified over and over, coyotes, deer, elk. Situations never seen before in how those animals noses' do not pick up your scent.

Of course, you have to exercise a certain discipline to use it. Same thing where using attractants for getting coyotes closer in to you, if you don't think that attractants do not work, then how do all those trappers catch coyotes?

Use of a cover scent along with an attractant works, but nothing works better than hunting in an area with a high density population of coyotes that are not hunted often.

Originally Posted By: ackleymanOriginally Posted By: SlickerThanSnoti have some stock in dead down wind spray on juice with the special secret sauce ingredient. please buy several bottles. it will make you feel good and make me some money. thank you.

It is not a publicly traded company.

We use it because of results, seen and verified over and over, coyotes, deer, elk. Situations never seen before in how those animals noses' do not pick up your scent.

Of course, you have to exercise a certain discipline to use it. Same thing where using attractants for getting coyotes closer in to you, if you don't think that attractants do not work, then how do all those trappers catch coyotes?

Use of a cover scent along with an attractant works, but nothing works better than hunting in an area with a high density population of coyotes that are not hunted often.

The bottom line here is, it can't hurt, it can only help. Sent control is a major factor in deer as well as bear hunting, why not predator hunting?
Yes, it's not easy to fool the nose of a predator, however there may be that one time that the wind changes direction, and your sent control gives you that much needed extra 5 seconds to get the shot off.

Back