Best bullet for deer using a 22-250?

About any bullet in a 250 put in the neck of a deer puts it right on the ground. Sierra game king in the boiler will do just fine also.

I would typically say 65 game king but given the twist the little brother is definitely the right call. The spitzer is tougher than the hollow point.

I've seen these bullets do some serious work in 223/220 swift. Can't imagine the 22-250 being different.

I always shot the 55 SGK -hp in mine. One doe was looking right at me at 102yds, I put one right under her chin, and it nearly took her head off. It left a softball sized exit and vaporized the spine. YMMV

She may need to buy a box or two of factory ammo. Do and factory ammo companies offer any of these bullets loaded over the counter?

Thanks all. I will get some components ordered up.

I use the 22-250 for hunting coyote over bait. I have shot 31 with 50 gr V-Max and only 1 exited so I didn't think those would offer enough penetration or I should say I think there are better options.
Thanks all

Originally Posted By: ScalloperShe may need to buy a box or two of factory ammo. Do and factory ammo companies offer any of these bullets loaded over the counter?

Thanks all. I will get some components ordered up.

Winchester 64gr power point for factory. Shoots under an inch for me and is a great deer bullet.

I personally don't like neck shots, I stick them right behind the shoulder broadside.

I would use nosler 60 gr partitions. these do the least amount of meat damage. Most smaller bullets do a real job on deer size animals. these bullets will penetrate a shoulder of an elk.

If the Tikka T3 is 1:14 twist, most of the bullets suggested will NOT
stabilize. I have trouble getting 60gr bullets to shoot accurately
in a 1:12 twist. For years, my Dad and brother used Hornady 55gr SP's
targeting the lung area on broadside shots with their .22-250's and
never lost a single one. None made it past 50yds. They harvested
around 30 deer using the Hornady's.

I have killed many deer in Arkansas with a 22 250 with 55 gr gk hp but most with nosler 55 gr bt and 50 gr bt and some with Berger 52 hp and 55 gr v max in the heart and lungs.

I use a 22-250 and I've always shot them in the neck with a 55 gr VMAX load. I keep all my shots within 200 yards though and if I am unsure about my shot, I don't take it. I've had to pass on a few deer because I couldn't get a clear shot but that happens unfortunately. Better to do that than to wound an animal in my opinion. I've used Remington 55 gr PSP and those work for behind the shoulder really well too, my gun just likes the VMAX better. Being a 1-14 twist barrel yours cant handle them but anybody with a 1-10 twist barrel like mine should know they can shoot the 64 gr Winchester powerpoints extremely accurately and you can place those anywhere and they'll work great. I've shot one deer with a VMAX in the heart/lungs area and it worked great, the deer fell right where it was standing, i just like to have an exit wound when shooting that area. it did break the rib and pierce the heart and lungs but i worry if you shot too far forward and hit the shoulder it wouldn't make it all the way to the boiler room.

Back