Love hunting in snow

wolftrapper

Went out at dawn this morning, with about three inches of snow on the ground. Spotting coyotes is so much easier with a white background!

I headed toward an alfalfa field, pushing out mule deer as I went. I wasn't more than a few hundred yards from my pickup, when I saw a coyote on the run, going over a ridge to my right....well out of range. Well the alfalfa was to the left, so I continued on.

I traveled probably a little over a quarter mile, picked out a spot to call from, and about then a coyote started yapping several hundred yards away. I decided to ignore it, and called for a while. A ton of deer came out of the alfalfa, and headed away, and I called for about fifteen minutes, with no takers. This is very open country and I could see a long ways, and with the snow, I figured it was a bust.

By then the yapper had quieted, so I decided to amble over that way, staying behind a convenient hill so he couldn't see me approach.

After a while I was about to top out on the hill, I peeked over, and there was a pair of coyotes out about 200 to 250 yards away. They were totally relaxed, nosing around, so I sank down and watched. They started walking up a hill and away from me. I was prone in the snow, so decided to try for the lead animal. My problem was that I had a slight possibility of weeds deflecting my bullet. Even though I was on the crest of a hill, it dropped gradually in front of me, so for about twenty feet in front of me were some thinly spaced weeds. I had cranked the variable scope up to nine power, the lead animal stopped and turned broadside. I fired, and the coyote never flinched! The other coyote bolted for a few feet, then they both just looked around like, what was that?

Now I'm thinking is it the rifle, did I hit weed, what? Lead coyote trotted off then began running. The other coyote started trotting my way, which means he went out of my sight for a moment. I raised up so that I could see him, and he was hunting mice! I ducked back down, and wormed my way forward for a few feet, then lay still, thinking that he would eventually go after the other coyote, and I would be ready. After a few minutes of waiting and no coyote, I raised up for a look....no coyote, I raised higher....no coyote. I think he vanished, because I never saw him again.

Now I'm wondering about my scope, so I headed around the face of the hill, planning to skirt it and go back to the pickup. I went about a quarter mile, when three mule deer stood up about fifty yards in front of me. As they bounced away, I sat down and extended my bipod, knowing that any coyotes in the vicinity would focus on them. Almost immediately, a coyote trotted out of a small draw, about 150 yards beyond the deer, stopping to watch the deer. I settled the crosshairs on her, and hit right where I aimed. I guess the former shot hit weed.

I concluded that I probably would never have seen a single coyote, without the snow background. The picture is right where she fell.

Thanks for sharing. The ponds and shoughs are iced over now here, still waiting for the weather man to get the forecast right. I was hoping to wake up this morning to an inch or three of snow so I could hunt the moon tonight. But no dice. In the tight quarters I hunt here in MN snow is almost a must.

Very good story! Can't wait to here about your next adventure.

Good story. Sounds like a target rich environment! I would love to be prone in the snow with two unsuspecting coyotes in range. Oh wait, I was, thanks for taking us along.

Thanks, guys...I have coyotes here, for sure!

My set up is an old M70 Winchester, in .222. it is topped with a Leupold 3x9 'scope, Harris bipod, and using Reminton 55 gr sp factory loads. I plan on going to 50 gr sp hand loads in the future. The 55's are going clear through...not a bad exit, but hoping the lighter bullets might make a difference. Ballistic tips can tear up pelts if it isn't a square hit, and the soft points are doing better for me in that regard.

I hear ya! They were forecasting 1" to 3" here last week and I was getting excited, even though it is rifle deer season and I don't like to venture out to far with all the crazies around. Never developed but called the weather change and did all right anyway.
Good story and keep on posting them.

Nice job, just a skiff of snow here and lots of yuccas, the coyotes are nearly impossible to see unless they are moving good.

Back