RamShot Big Game Temp Sensitivity?

tecumseh

Anyone using Big Game find it to be very temp sensitive compared to H & IMR-4350 and Varget? Thinkin about giving it a try in my 7mm-08.

Originally Posted By: tecumsehAnyone using Big Game find it to be very temp sensitive compared to H & IMR-4350 and Varget? Thinkin about giving it a try in my 7mm-08.
unless you have some big game on hand.....good luck

I seen some on shelves. But, a couple of weeks ago at a show in Richmond they were drowning in it!! Many, many cans! Of course I was looking for Magnum.

I have a couple of pounds kicking around but have yet to do too much with it since it got pretty scarce up here in Canada, too. It also used to be cheaper than most powders. I ended up buying a bunch of VV-550 and have been using that but have heard good things about Ramshot Big Game in the big .17s with 30gr bullets.

N550 works well in my .17P, but, does take second place to Big Game. Not by a lot, accuracy is equal, but I see a bit more velocity with the Big Game.

I burn a lot of N550 in other stuff, it's one of my favorites. But as far as cost goes, around here, the VV stuff is hideously expensive and the Big Game is as affordable as anything. I've recently seen 8 lb jugs going for ~$165 or so.

- DAA

Originally Posted By: DAAN550 works well in my .17P, but, does take second place to Big Game. Not by a lot, accuracy is equal, but I see a bit more velocity with the Big Game.

I burn a lot of N550 in other stuff, it's one of my favorites. But as far as cost goes, around here, the VV stuff is hideously expensive and the Big Game is as affordable as anything. I've recently seen 8 lb jugs going for ~$165 or so.

- DAA

How much velocity loss in the cold with BG?

I've used several other of the Ramshot powder line with no temp problems..You might want to call Alliant Powder (Producer) and ask them...

Originally Posted By: OldTurtleI've used several other of the Ramshot powder line with no temp problems..You might want to call Alliant Powder (Producer) and ask them...

You mean Western, right?

Quote:You mean Western, right?...You are right...I had Accurate in my mind since that's the name on my last manual...Don't know why my fingers typed Alliant...Senior moment, I guess..

Have used most of the Ramshot rifle powders since it was introduced.....really like them, as they meter so well. And yep, finding any ramshot rifle powder was darn hard for a couple of years. Been only a couple of months ago, that places I shop for powder had any of it.

Darn if I can comment on them being temperature sensitive. Chuckle, live not that far from the Texas gulf coast.....kinda warm to hot here much of the year.

Originally Posted By: OldTurtleQuote:You mean Western, right?...You are right...I had Accurate in my mind since that's the name on my last manual...Don't know why my fingers typed Alliant...Senior moment, I guess..

I live the "senior moment" everyday.

Back