Seesaw coyote hunt

titch--

First real hunt for coyotes this year started out slow but took a turn for the better, but ended with a bang. Wasnt sure I wanted to go out as it was like -34 with a 30k wind, but thursday was the first day I could get into this place so Ive been waiting long enough and went for it.

First stand didnt produce anything accept a nice chill even though I hugged a hillside with some trees.

I was thinking it was just abit to windy I decided to go for a drive and warm up some. Knocked on a few doors to make sure I could still go on some properties of previous years, all was good. Even talked with another family for some new land and they were tellin me some good things.
smile.gif

Finally around noon the wind seemed to calm down enough that I wanted to make another stand. Chatted with a farmer and he was telling me where abouts he's been seeing them lately and off I went. Hopped a few fences and I was out looking across a few fields. Looked in the direction I was heading and noticed something dark in the next field. Glassed and saw a coyote mousing in the field with its head down. It was over a 1000yds so I knew I couldnt shoot like the dartman and the neighbor, so I hit some low ground and walked towards the fenceline of a small hill. Once I got there I glassed over and couldnt find the coyote anywhere in the field out in front of me. Looked and glassed for acouple minutes and decided the it must been in this slough on the other side of the fence. I was just setup to do some calling when I looked over to my left down the fence line and what do you know, this coyote pops out about 20yds down the fenceline. Our eyes lock onto each other and he bolts away from me down the fenceline. He went down in some low ground kind of out of sight. This helped me move around some and get into a shooting position. He just happened to look back one more time and that was that.

Winner winner chicken dinner :p Only pic I took of this place. Ill make up for it at the next place. :p
2016%20Dec%208%20%20single_zps69szujdf.jpg

Was going to show the farmer that I tagged one, but he must of went to town or something as his truck was gone. Drove down the road to the next farm and pulled up and had a chat with the owner and he was saying that hes been hearing them out in the same field as last year. Parked the truck on the edge of his yard and started walking. It wasnt that far of a walk until I saw where I wanted to setup. I always like to setup where I can see the best and thats usually a hill or hillside. As I pretty much always go prone, as long as I keep my movements to a minimum it has always been good to me and today was no different.
smile.gif
As I was setting up my caller upwind of my position I notice two fresh badger holes (guessing) Thought maybe he would pop up if a coyote didnt.
smile.gif
Started with some female long howls and not even a minute on my left side I see a single coyote charging my way from a slough where the cows where hanging around about 400-500 away. Paused the caller when it was about 150 and it stopped around the 120ish for a easy shot that put it down where it stood. Since it was a fast stand I tried some jackrabbit distress for a couple minutes. With a little scanning around I noticed a few magpies flying my way down a fenceline to my front. You all know what that usually means.
smile.gif
After a few seconds of not seeing anything I throw on some pup distress and a few seconds later I see em. Two coyotes looking to circle around me out in the field to my right. They just happen to stop right behind the only fricken tree there is. After a few minutes of trying to get them to move they finally do and for the better. One finally comes out for a shot around 160 I think. With a good shot it was down before it knew what happened. Now thinking Im going to have to hurry for a runner Im back on the rifle and find out the other coyote didnt flinch at the shot but actually came over to see why its partner was taking a instant dirt nap. With another easy shot it fell pretty much on top of its partner.

Now for the visual part of this story

Looking left
2016%20Dec%208%20Triple%20looking%20left_zps4hlxu5vh.jpg

Looking right
2016%20Dec%208%20%20Triple%20looking98%200klr_zpslojcvnpu.jpg

Left coyote looking back towards position. You can see my backpack up there.
2016%20Dec%208%20Triple%20left%20one%20back%20to%20P_zpshczpgq5n.jpg

The right two where they lay. I think the second coyote was trying to get in one last bite to its partner because it lead them into this predicament. heh And looking back
2016%20Dec%208%20triple%20right%20two_zpsksp5xfa1.jpg

2016%20Dec%208%20triple%20right%20two%20back%20to%20P_zpsy5loqcg5.jpg

And the official pic
2016%20Dec%208%20Triple_zpsxue6lut6.jpg

Just after taking this picture as I was just about to head to grab the truck. I saw two more coyotes crossing the field just alittle more right and further back from the last two maybe 600yds. I tried calling these guys but they wouldnt have any of it. So after glassing em for a few and thinking what I should do next, I see one go into a slough and the other lay down right beside the so it can keep an eye on this direction. So the next step? The next step is to go to them. I slid off the hill and down to the right. After a little bit I crawled under a fence and set up for a 260yds shot and with no hurry in world I MISS!!! I dont know how but I did. Went that way to make sure and saw where the one was with NO blood trail. Oh well I guess it happens. Shakes head...

Now being 4 oclock and time for one more stand Im thinking of heading back to the new farmers land I got permission on this morning, as he was saying that a calf died and they put it out by some bush. Pull up and sneak in to were the calf was but dont see anything moving. Set out the caller and called for a good 15 minutes before I see one come charging in from the trees I was set up for. It came into about 25-30yds but being setup on a fence line there was a little bit of grass here and there on the fence line and it just happened that it stopped right behind some grass. So in the split second to think about it, instead of sitting up or moving I decided to punch it through the couple small blades of grass and..... what do you know.... MISSED!!! I think that might of been a bad idea. lol Went to look for some blood but there wasnt any. I did find a bunch of hair everywhere though, not enough for a full hide though. :p

Even though it was getting dark now my day of pissin around was done yet. Got back into town and got a freakin flat tire. ARG Only place open was Cnd tire and they couldnt fix it as they were to busy to help me out for 20 minutes. I bought one of those quick patch kits where you ram a little rubber thingy through your tire with a rod. I did it in their shop and it seems to be holding as its still go today. Will get it properly fixed tomorrow though.
smirk.gif

Oh yeah I also wanted to add that if anyone was thinking of using 69gr tipped match kings for coyotes, go for it. Ive only shot 5 with them so far but I havent seen negatives with them so far.

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

Enjoyed the story and pics. Looks like you have some prime territory to hunt in the upcoming weeks ahead.
What powder are you using behind the 69 gr Sierra's?

It was a Stevens 200 but all thats left of that is just the action. Shilen, rifle basics, MDT, DNZ and Nightforce SHV.

Shoots pretty decent. I really like the 223 for just all around shooting.

Last edited:
Back