Zero??

Neighbor_Guy

I just hung new glass on a carbine length flat top ar last night. Using Nikon .223 mounts.

Here is the question. Using factory 55grain hornaday varmit express. I am looking to end up with a 100yard zero on this gun, but for the time being only have 30yards to get it set up. Where should I be looking to have my point of impact at 30yards that will put me close to a 100yd zero?

My ballistic app has that round and it's library. Without knowing your velocity and bore height it is hard to know exactly. I digress, my app says .66 inches low at 30 yards.

That's going to depend slightly on your sight height.

I see you're in Zimmerman, cool to see a local guy here. Call Ken at West Branch Gun Club, good luck though, I haven't been able to get a hold of him last time I tried. You can shoot out to 150 yards at his place and he only charges $5, and he is near you.

Otherwise another close range to you would be http://www.wildmarshsportingclays.com/ I haven't been there before but they have a 100 yard range.

With your setup as well, I have had good luck with a 75 yard zero which happens to zero again at 200 and is maybe an inch high at 100, and around 7 inches low at 300.

Go to a range with a 100 yard lane and do a proper sight in. Minnesota Sportsman's Club is right there in Zimmerman. Or Wild Marsh is pretty nice also. I'm a member at Monticello Rod & Gun Club if you want to drive down sometime, I can bring guests for free.

Yeah, it's hard when your not a member. I drove over to MN as I'm only a mile or so south of them. Can't shoot without a membership, membership drive is in April, and you must be sponsored by a current member. They said the waiting list is 2+years.

So I'm currently 1.25" low at 30yards. According to hornaday that will give me a zero of 100-125yards when factoring in the sight height and barrel length. Next time I am at the farm and muzzleloader season is ended I will verify the zero at distance.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Originally Posted By: Neighbor_GuyYeah, it's hard when your not a member. I drove over to MN as I'm only a mile or so south of them. Can't shoot without a membership, membership drive is in April, and you must be sponsored by a current member. They said the waiting list is 2+years.

So I'm currently 1.25" low at 30yards. According to hornaday that will give me a zero of 100-125yards when factoring in the sight height and barrel length. Next time I am at the farm and muzzleloader season is ended I will verify the zero at distance.

Thanks for the help everyone.

I think this will be close to what your looking for. Everytime I zero'ed a 223 at 25 yards, I was really high at 100 yards. You really need to shoot it at 100 to verify your zero.

the AR has a lot more sight height than most guns. mine has 3" you have to be careful not to site in too high or else you could be as much as 3" high at 180 ish yards. I think that has caused a miss on a couple coyotes. so I sight in no more than 1.25 high at 100 yards.

You have a lot of information missing to plot a trajectory....Pull up JBM Ballistic Calculator and fill in the needed info...It will give you several variations of trajectory considerations...Request the trajectory in 10 yard increments and it will tell you your point of impact at 30 yards..

You will need to verify the info at the range and tweak your scope setting alightly, but it will have you on paper...

You need a lot more information to work up a trajectory plot....Pull up JBM Ballistic Calculator and fill in the necessary info and you can print out a trajectory that is pretty close and you will still need to tweak it at a range..

Using 55 gr round at 3240 fps, if you take an m4 zero target set it up at 25 meters , put 3 rounds in the target. You will be then zeroed for 250 meters. Been doing it for years.

Back